Chapter 57

JANE'S POV

Silvia's face looked pale and her eyes were puffy showing that she had been crying earlier. She looked so much vulnerable compared to her usual mean self. I have never liked her from the beginning but the gloomy expression on her face made me concerned. She looked so much disturbed and hurt.

She hid her face from me and turned the other way to leave. I immediately stepped forward and blocked her way. She raised her head and glared at me.

Now this was the Silvia l recognised!

"Are you okay?," l asked her in a concerned voice.

As a fellow human being l had the reason to be worried because she looked suicidal. Her lips curled in disdain.

"What do you care!," she snarled back at me.

I curled my hands into fists fighting for control. I only wanted to help her yet she was being sarcastic to me. Then it struck me that we were in a hospital. Maybe her dear relative was dying with some disease or she had been told that she had some terminal disease like cancer. It was only reasonable for people like her to hide their pain under sarcasm.

My anger melted away at that logical thought. Maybe it was time l made peace with Silvia. Ferracco had also made up with Claudius. I was now pregnant and l didn't want any bitterness to rub off on my poor baby. I laid a friendly hand on her arm and mustered a warm smile. Silvia being Silvia glared at my hand on her sleeve.

"I know that we don't like each other but l can't ignore you when l see you in this state. It's just not right," l told her.

She stared up into my eyes then her lower lip began to quiver.

"Silvia," l asked her worried.

My whole body stiffened in shock when she suddenly embraced me and broke out into loud painful sobs. Once the shock wore off , l hugged her back , patting her brown hair. Painful sobs wrenched from her. I felt my heart swell in sorrow at her piteous sobs. I wondered what had happened to her but whatever it was , it was very terrible to make someone with an uncaring and strong personality like her cry like this. Worse of all , in the arms of the person she despised so much.

After she stopped crying , l took her hand and dragged her to a nearest coffee shop. We sat in silence with our steaming mugs of tea on the table. I noticed her wringing her hands nervously on her lap. She seemed like she wanted to say something to me. I took up my tea and sipped slowly while waiting for her to speak up. When she did l almost choked on my tea.

"I am sorry for everything l have done to you," she said in a low voice avoiding my eyes.

My eyes widened like saucers. I couldn't believe she had just apologised to me. Her words left me in awe.

"I forgive you," l told her in an earnest voice.

I was shocked even myself that l had forgiven Silvia so easily . Maybe it was because of the good news l had received earlier or it was her pale appearance that stirred some sympathy inside me.

She cast me a small smile. That was the first smile of hers that l ever saw. Silvia had always been a beautiful lady but the smile made her more beautiful if that was eben possible. She looked so much younger when she smiled. I wondered why she didn't do it often.

"To be honest , Jane , l have always been envious of you," she said.

Her words stunned me. Someone like her who had everything was jealousy of me.

"You have such a lovely and cute daughter. Your husband loves you and adores you," she added in a sad voice.

I saw the pain hiding behind her words. These were the things she dreamed of. A happy marriage and kids. I reached for her hand across the table and held it. She glanced up at me with tears glittering in her eyes.