BOOK THREE : SCARS OF THE PAST

"Trust is like a crack in a glass . Once broken it's hard to fix."

~****~

This book is dedicated to Vimbainashe for all the support and encouragement she gave me. Thank you for believing in me.

~****~

Chapter 31

JANE'S POV

I woke up during the night feeling very thirsty. My hand groped for the bedside lamp and l switched it on. A soft golden glow flooded the room. I was shocked to see that my bedside watch read past one in the morning. I rarely woke up in the middle of the night.

I threw on my night gown and went downstairs to get a glass of water. When l was returning to my room , there was a sudden loud scream that shattered the peaceful atmosphere. I quickly dashed upstairs to where the sound was coming from.

I paused by Ferracco's bedroom door. The scream had came from his room. My mind was spinning a million directions at once debating on whether to open his door or not. While l was still deciding , another piercing scream rendered the peaceful atmosphere and l impulsively turned the door knob and rushed in.

His room was dark except for the moon which casted a pale light on his bed. Ferracco was lying on top of the blankets wearing shorts only. His top was bare and glistening with sweat.

"Mother! Mother! Help! Please help. Save my mother!," he screamed again in an anguished voice.

He began to thrash against the bedsheets screaming. I rushed to his bed and tried to hold him down. Tears were now trickling down his cheeks. What is happening to him?

"Ferracco! Ferracco ! Wake up!"

I shook his shoulders. At last his frantic movements stilled. His breathing slowed down. I watched him sleeping peacefully.

I wondered what the dream had been about. Ferracco had told me that he grew up in an orphanage. Claudius had gone behind my back six years ago and investigated him and what he had told us turned out to be true.

It amazes me how innocent looking a person is when asleep and that was how Ferracco looked like when asleep. His chest rose and fall slowly with his steady breathing. A lock of dark hair laid on is forehead and his long ebony eyelashes rested on his cheekbones.

How can a guy have such long eyelashes!

I mentally face palmed myself. What was l thinking about!

Suddenly his eyelids flew open and his sleepy eyes stared at me in confusion. I felt myself reddening in embarrassment. Now he was going to ask what l am doing here.

"What are you doing here?" he asked in a husky voice.

"I was coming from the kitchen when l heard you screaming. You were having a nightmare," l tried to justify my presence.

I didn't want to be labeled pervert. A strange emotion crossed his eyes before he masked it. I wondered what it was. He racked a hand through his dark hair before sitting up straight to pour himself a glass of water.

"I thought you said you were an orphan. How come you were dreaming about the mother you never knew or was that another of your lies?," l asked suspiciously.