Chapter 18

JANE'S POV

I casted Claudius a small nervous glance. He was quietly eating his dinner. He had barely said a word since he arrived save for a few pleasantries we exchanged the first minutes. After that , he had slipped into a silent mode.

The intense atmosphere was freaking me out . l was scared that he was suddenly going to announce that he wanted nothing to do with me. I clearly knew that Claudius cared for me ever since he arrived at Castio mansion. He also cared and adored Elena a lot .

I was not going to let Ferracco's ghost ruin things for me anymore. I knew Claudius was still mad at me because he probably thought that l was still pinning after that asshole , Ferracco.

I sipped my wine and gently placed the glass on the table. I cleared my throat . That gained me Claudius's attention because he looked up at me with a forced smile on his face. I discovered that he too was nervous .

" l am really sorry about last time," l carefully said.

He remained silent for a brief moment only staring at me.

" l admit that l was being stupid and paranoid for nothing. When l calmed down and had time to think the whole thing through, l realised that l was probably mistaken. I don't think he is stupid enough to remain in Brazil after his crimes," l continued.

Claudius's face softened a bit. His hand reached for mine across the table. It was warm and reassuring. Just what l needed after last week's hectic drama.

" l am sorry too for the way l reacted. I yelled at you and accused you for having feelings for that bastard. I was being irrational and jealous for nothing. "

He exhaled slowly before continuing,

"I didn't contact you because l felt bad. I couldn't face you right away. I thought you needed space to sort out your feelings ."

I suddenly find myself smiling. This was my first time to see Claudius sounding so nervous and unsure.

" And here l was, thinking that you probably wanted nothing to do with me. There was no feelings to sort . l am over that pig but l am not done with him yet. He still has something of mine. I was just shocked to see someone so similar to him," l blurted out.

" l know you are still hurting over this thing and l will willingly help you to get through this. I just hope he doesn't get between us," he said in a sharp voice staring at me with a serious expression.

" l swear that won't happen, " l assured him.

He cast me a small smirk.

" And another thing. You can't go hysterical everyday you spot some blue- eyed dude on the streets. Gosh ! My neck is still hurting when you grabbed me by the collar that day. "

A bubble of laughter escaped me. I love that he was back to his usual self.

" l am sorry for that ," l replied grinning.

Claudius looked around the grand restaurant appreciatively.

" l bet this is all Lola's doing."

I rolled my eyes at him.

" Really Claudius! Do you have to spoil the moment. I was trying being romantic for change, " l chucked in humour.

Claudius smiled mischievously at me.

"I know my girlfriend really well."

" Are you implying that l don't have a single romantic bone in me," l gasped in disbelief.