Chapter 9

The rest of the day , l avoided Ferracco at all costs. I was still furious at him. I didn't want to face him because l knew then that he would read my thoughts like he always does and l would be end up being embarrassed further. It's not like we were dating or anything.

So why was l really jealous in the first place?

I pushed that disturbing thought at the back of my head. I didn't want to get attached to a man who was only a guest in my life and ended up having my little fragile heart broken all over again. I just couldn't risk it.

So l spent the day in my room snuggling under my blankets with my favourite teddy bear. My dad had given it to me on my highschool graduation and l have kept it ever since.

It was still cold and freezing outside. How l hated winters. There was a small knock on my door.

"Come in ," l called out in a sleepy voice.

This person just have to come when l was on the brink of falling asleep.

Just great!

The door creaked open. I craned my neck expecting to see Xiomara , one of the maids. It was almost lunch time so l expected Amira to send someone to call me downstairs.

But it was not Xiomara standing in the doorway , it was Ferracco , the last person l expected to see. I quickly sat up in bed surprised.

"Ferracco! What are doing here?," l asked him in a stern voice.

I didn't want to see him ever again. I was supposed to stay angry with him and avoid him until he takes his morning flight to Brasilia tomorrow and everything will come to an end then l will get back to my normal life and forget l ever knew him before.

But clearly luck was not on my side.

"Can l come in?," he asked with one of his drool worthy smiles and l found myself weakening again.

I cleared my throat a bit trying to get rid of the lump forming on my throat.

"Yes you can come in."

He closed the door behind him and walked further into my room until he reached my bedside. An uncomfortable silence settled over us for a moment.

"What did you want to talk about?," l asked him.

He looked hesitant for a moment.

"About last night. I...," his voice trailed off.

I swallowed back a lump of tears. I knew what was coming. That he didn't mean to do it but he was caught up in the moment. That he has a girlfriend back in his hometown and he was going back to her.

"It's okay. It was a mistake," l finished for him as l felt pride swelling inside me.

I was not going to give him a chance to further humiliate me.

Ferracco stared back at me with a baffled look on his face. He probably felt hurt that l had beat him at those words.

Well, tough luck!

"Jane , l know that it was uncalled of but l really .."

I held up one hand to silence him.

"I don't want to talk about it," l said in a firm voice glaring at him.

He looked hurt for a moment that l almost reconsider my decision.

"If you insist," he said before walking back towards the door.