Chapter 8

I watched Claudius pacing up and down in the study room. He was angry and it was clearly evident on his flushed face . He looked up at me when l closed the door behind me.

"Claudius"

He held up one hand in a silencing gesture.

"No need to explain yourself Jane . It's not your fault. You are young, beautiful , innocent and never had a boyfriend."

I opened my mouth to say something but he held up his hand again.

"It's his fault for taking advantage of you ," he said in a voice filled with sarcasm.

I wished that was true. I felt equally responsible for what had occurred between us on the terrace.

"Now that l think about it , there is definitely something off about the guy. I can now smell it. He is not being genuine. I will hire a private investigator to dig around him."

My jaw dropped open in disbelief.  I couldn't believe he was going to hire a private investigator on Ferracco. He was like an elder brother to me and I appreciated his concern for me but to hire an investigator...he was making all this into an unnecessary big deal.

"There is no need for that. He is going home tomorrow."

He stared at me for a moment before sighing.

"Care to explain that kiss to me," he asked me with a grin.

Boom! I had not seen that one coming.

l hesitated for a moment before finally saying,

"I don't know how we got to that. Don't worry l won't do that again."

Claudius heaved out a huge sigh of relief. He smiled at me for the first time since coming into the study.

"Seems like my Senhorita is no longer a girl but a woman now," he chuckled.

A huge grin broke out on my face. At least he was no longer looking so furious . Then his smile collapsed to be replaced by a worried look.

"I am worried about you , Jane. Worried that some piece of shit is going to lure you and then take advantage of you. Be careful! Men are the most hypocritical creatures on earth," he warned in a serious voice.

"I am aware of that," l said in a voice barely above a whisper.

Only l wasn't so sure of my answer.  I wondered how much l knew about men.

That night seemed to drag on endlessly . I tossed and turned in my blankets multiple times. I was having a hard time to sleep. I watched Lola snoring besides me and l felt envious of her peace of mind.

Every time l closed my eyes , my first kiss on the terrace drifted into my mind. I felt restless and confused about my feelings. Claudius's words kept ringing in my head.

"Be careful!"

I felt torn between two places. I didn't know who to believe, my head or my heart. Sometime later in the night , l drifted to sleep.

The next morning , l went downstairs for breakfast. I froze in my steps when l saw Ferracco seated around the dining table.

He is still here!

My heart began to race uncomfortably. Seeing him again , brought back fresh memories of the terrace. Memories l had struggled so hard to bury last night.

He looked up from his plate and when his eyes collided with mine , his lips curved into a mischievous smile. A gasp escaped me in shock . I knew he was thinking the same thing.