BOOK TWO: THE ENCOUNTER

Chapter 13

(Six years later)

"Elena ! Come down baby! Time for school," l yelled standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"Coming mummy!," she yelled back from her room.

Minutes later , she appeared at the top of the stairs looking cute in her little blue pre-school uniform. Today was her first day at Sunshine pre-school and she was super excited about it. She wouldn't stop talking about it all day yesterday.

I watched her with a proud smile on my face as she skipped down the stairs excitedly.

"Careful ! Careful!," l said worriedly as I caught her in my arms before stumbling on the last step.

She looked up at me beaming , showcasing her missing tooth. I felt my heart swell with love for her.

Elena was my everything !

She was my world!

She became my only reason for surviving till now.

The pain of Ferracco's betrayal exceeded the pain of my parent's death. If that was possible but it did. I felt cheated , betrayed and humiliated. I had fought almost everyone just to be with him.

I had even fought my inner premonitions that he was too good to be true. Like a fool which l definitely was , l had fallen hook , line and sinker in love with that scumbag.

When l learned that l was pregnant with that devil's child , l had wanted nothing better than to crawl in some hell hole and silently died.

But one look at her sonogram , l had immediately fallen in love with her. My heart had literally stopped when my doctor showed me her image on the small screen. Back then she looked nothing but a small pea. I never imagined something so small could grow into something so cute and adorable like a baby.

I had immediately felt a need to protect and cherish my baby. Having Elena was the best decision l have ever made in my life. I always tended to make poor decisions  like taking a business management degree only to please my father when in fact l wanted to go to an art school and secondly but most worst , falling in love with a total stranger , marrying him and then being robbed of my entire fortune.

"Mummy!"

Elena's voice brought me out of my unpleasant thoughts.

"I brushed my teeth already ," she said opening her little mouth wider to show me her little bright white teeth.

I kissed her forehead and stroked her satin cheek.

"You did great , baby. Are you ready for your first day at school?"

"YESSS!," she screamed excitedly in a high pitched voice that for a moment l was tempted to close my ears.

Elena was too energetic and clever for a five year old. I am sure at her age l was some skinny and dull kid with braces . l knew that energetic gene of hers did not come from me.

The only thing she inherited from me was her perfectly trimmed eyebrows. Elena has big blue eyes that look like crystals and long black hair.

Just like her father!