Chapter 7

He stood in the doorway , his broad frame imposing. With all those looks and muscles one could mistake him for a Calvin Klein model. It was surprising to see him awake at this time of the night . When l walked out of the house to the terrace, the house was deadly silent that l thought everyone was already asleep.

I last saw him after the funeral. He did not come down for dinner, maybe he was not fully accustomed to us all. His lips curved into a small smile. In one powerful stride he was standing besides me.

Ferracco removed his leather jacket and placed it gently on me. I shivered when his fingertips slightly grazed my bare shoulders. I stared at him in confusion.

Why is he doing this?

He smirked at me knowingly.

"I noticed you were feeling cold," he explained.

I recalled that l was rubbing myself when he came in. I felt a blush go across my cheeks.

"What are you doing out here at this hour?," l asked him instead , trying to get rid of the weird and uncomfortable feeling that was creeping inside my chest.

"I should be asking you the same question cara. Why aren't you asleep?"

My jaw dropped open as l stared at him.

"Don't tell me you are Italian?," l asked with a baffled look on my face.

He chuckled at my words.

"Half Italian. I heard my mother was Italian and l bet the bastard who sired me was half Brazilian," he said with a careless shrug.

I noticed the bitterness underlying his words.

"You don't know your father?," l asked carefully.

A muscle throbbed in his jaw as he looked into space. I could feel anger rolling off him in waves.

"It's best l never know him because if l ever come across that bastard , l would be send to prison for murder," he said seething.

A gasp escaped me. He turned to look at me.

"I am sorry for my choice of words," he apologised.

I was now seeing him in a new light.

He was one wounded and bitter man!

I drew closer to him and laid my hand gently on his arm.

"Only light can drive out darkness , Ferracco. Don't let your bitterness ruin you inside. Don't let that sorry excuse of a father ruin your image of the world. There are people out there who are much more nicer."

He flashed me a huge smile.

"Are you studying psychology?," he asked with a grin.

"Nop. I have just finished my business management degree at Harvard."

He gave a low whistle.

"I am honoured to be standing close to such a knowledgeable woman," he said giving me a low bow.

I laughed as l slapped his arm playfully. I then realised that it was my first genuine laugh since my parent's death.

"Thank you," l suddenly said.

"For what?," he asked with a blank look on his face.

"For making me laugh," l answered honestly feeling my face flushing in embarrassment.

The smile on his face widened.

"It's my pleasure."

That voice!