Chapter 38

JANE'S POV

I cast Bianca a hesitant look but she simply offered me an assuring smile before walking out of the room. I was left standing there feeling nervous and undecided. My eyes wandered back to Ferracco and for a moment l felt my heart melting a bit. He looked terrible. Red puffy eyes , pale skin and tousled hair. His hair looked like the rats had just had a tea party in it.

I found myself wondering what might have occurred to land Ferracco in this helpless state. Curiosity got the better of me and l found myself taking hesitant steps towards his hunched form and stopped mere inches from him.

"What is it , Ferr..."

My words ended in a gasp when Ferracco suddenly hugged my waist. I was about to roughly shove him away and give him an earful when his entire body began to shudder with sobs. I froze in my place . This awkward situation frightened me.

I knew Ferracco to be a hard and ruthless billionaire in his dealings and takeovers. Never in my wildest dreams have l imagined him to break down in tears in my presence.

The sobs which tore from deep within him were full of pain and suffering. Unconsciously , l raised my hand to soothe him but then l remembered all the evil deeds he did to me and my hand froze midway. For a few moments , two sides of me debated. The bitter one and the human one. The human side of me eventually won for a moment l forgot my hatred for him and embraced him in a warm hug. His muscular arms tightened around my waist. I silently patted his back while deep sobs wrenched from him.

" Jane! ...Jane!..," he whispered between sobs.

Though l hated him with every atom of me , pain ripped through me at seeing his suffering. I hugged him tighter and patted his dark head. After some time, his sobs subsided. Ferracco unwrapped his strong arms from my waist and staggered towards the table.

He uncorked another bottle of wine and poured into a glass. He twirled the contents in the glass for a while while staring into space absentminded with gloomy eyes. What happened to him?

I have never seen him this vulnerable and broken. He emptied the glass in one gulp and proceeded to pour another one. That's when l rushed to the couch he was sitting on. I grabbed the wine glass from him.

Ferracco threw me an annoyed look.

"You are already drunk. You should go to sleep."

He stifled a hysterical laughter. I could see his eyes misting again with tears. He gripped down my hand and l dropped on the couch besides him.

"What happened to you Ferracco ?," l asked him in worry.

I wondered why l was even bothering having a conversation with this jerk but then another thought entered my head and calmed me down. I had to do it for Elena's sake. I had to find out what was wrong with him least it affected my daughter in some way.

"How can you expect me to sleep, Jane. When today is one of my worst nightmares."

"Isn't it your birthday?," l asked him in confusion.

Two lone tears silently streamed down his cheeks. He remained silent for a moment whilst clenching his teeth. I waited for him to resume. I knew how difficult it was for someone like Ferracco to tell anyone his difficulties. He was a proud man.

"I stopped celebrating my birthday fifteen years ago....," his voice trailed off.

He closed his eyes and gritted his teeth in anger.

"On this day, l witnessed my mother getting murdered at the orders of that monster," he spat out.

I gasped in shock.