Chapter 21

JANE'S POV

A week passed by in a daze and still there was no word from Santiago. I wondered if he had finally given up. I recalled how hesitant he was , when l first offered him the job of digging around the so called Lucas Moretti.

He had argued that the man was an "off- limits area". Even l too had to admit that Santiago was partially right. I had been momentarily hesitant when l first googled him. The guy was too powerful and too rich , owning chains of hotels all over the globe. But l couldn't ignore the nagging suspicion that somehow he was Ferracco , version 2!

So l had laid my fears aside and hardened my heart. When Santiago continued arguing that he would be killed if Moretti discovered that he was being stalked , l had slapped more dollars on the table and he had smiled showing off his tobacco stained teeth and said,

" Now we are talking!"

I wondered if Santiago had simply manipulated me into giving him more money or his fear had been genuine. I have read many articles talking about Lucas Moretti's ruthlessness in his business dealings.

My hands rubbed my forearms as l felt a slight shiver ran through me. I cringed at the new thought that went through my head. I quickly reached for my cellphone and dialled Santiago's number. He was unavailable and l sent straight to voicemail again.

"Santiago ! Please call me as soon as you get this message. I am worried about you," l said in a nervous voice.

I dropped my head into my hands and drew in a deep, shuddering breath. My insides were quivering with fear. I was so scared that something bad could have happened to him. If Lucas Moretti was truly Ferracco Volcano , l wouldn't doubt even for a second that he was capable of killing someone in cold blood.

A man who was capable of feigning to be in love with a girl , then marry her and manipulate her into getting a high position in her company and then fled with his wife's fortune was capable of almost anything. Even murder !

I couldn't live with myself if anything bad happens to that innocent man. l shook off the disturbing thoughts.

"Let's be positive Jane. Worrying does no one any good, " l assured myself.

I took a look at the pile of files laying on my desk and a helpless sigh escaped me. There were many advertisement proposals and sales contracts l had to review. And there was that Paula Advertisement contract l had to arrange. I wondered why that weird man , Mr Carlton would put me in such an important project.

Just when l was about to get started on the files , my cellphone vibrated besides me. A smile flickered on my face when l saw Claudius's name flashing on the screen.

For the past week , we have been going steady. We had even gone on more dates. It was no longer weird to be with him romantically. I was now looking forward to spending more time with him.

" Hie there handsome ."

" How are you baby ?"

I could hear the smile in his voice. He liked it when l called him that. I imagined his face reddening in embarrassment. Claudius blushed way more than l did. I discovered he wasn't much of a daring man except on the day he kissed me on the balcony.