Chapter 45

JANE'S POV

Ferracco stared at the strange man in shock and anger. The strange man's grey eyes lit up when he glanced at Ferracco. The two of them seemed to know each other.

The older man put down his duffel bag and limped towards us. His eyes racked my face. His steel-grey eyes darkened with tears as he smiled at me. A gasp escaped me when he took my hands in his battered ones. I threw Ferracco a questioning glance but he ignored me.

The strange man reeked of sweat mingled with cheap soap. I shifted my posture feeling uncomfortable. His smile widened revealing stained teeth due to years of smoking. I felt goosebumps all over me. His smile was creepy too.

"It's nice to finally met you , Jane," he said in undisguised excitement.

"Have we met before?," l asked him in confusion.

I had this nagging feeling that l knew him from somewhere. A smile flickered on his rugged face.

"We are connected in so many ways you can't imagine," he said in that same creepy voice.

I swallowed suddenly feeling nervous. This strange man intimidated me. Ferracco must have sensed my nervousness because he said,

"Luis! Let's talk in the study room...."

The strange man glared at Ferracco and he clamped his mouth shut. Fear flashed in Ferracco's eyes. He cast his eyes to the floor. I have never seen him so intimidated.

"I sent you to protect her but you seduced her instead!," he growled at Ferracco.

What are they talking about?

"Excuse me? What are you talking about?," l asked the strange man.

He flashed me a warm smile again.

"Let's sit down first," he said as he hauled me to a nearest couch.

My heart was racing in fear. I had a feeling that this was not going to end well. He clasped my hands in his battered ones. Tears misted his eyes again.

"You are all grown up now," he muttered in a teary voice.

His thin arm shot out and removed a strand of hair on my face. I shuddered in fear.

"Who are you ?," l asked in a nervous voice.

"I was the one who hired Ferracco to stalk your parents."

I gasped in shock. My eyes trailed to Ferracco. He was standing across the room still and silent with a scowl on his face.

"Why would you do that?," l cried at him as l felt my anger mounting.

"I hated Augusto with everything in me," he replied in a voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Why?"

My father was a good man . I couldn't imagine anyone hating my father. His lips curled into a smirk.

"Let me tell you an interesting story then," he said.

~****~

" Twenty - nine years ago , there was a young rich man who owned a multimillion dollar company and a grand mansion. He had everything that money could buy except manners. He was a greedy and selfish man. He destroyed everything that stood in his way to success.