Chapter 63

FERRACCO'S POV

I smiled lazily at Jane , feeling spent and satiated. My hand reached out and l removed some of the damp strands plastered on her forehead before kissing her forehead. She smiled against my naked chest with her eyelids already drooping. I must have exhausted her.

God, l just couldn't get enough of her. One thing was for sure, she had me real love stoned. I was about to reach for her again when my cellphone rang on the bedside table. I groaned before reaching for it.

It was Reid. Damn him! The guy never knew the time to call.

"This better be important!," l snapped at him as soon as l answered the phone.

"It's an emergency , Mr Moretti," he replied in a frantic voice.

I quickly changed into my clothes soon after the call. There was trouble at the company and l needed to be there. A murder had taken place in one of our hotels. I was about to walk out when l remembered Jane. I went back to bed but she was already asleep. I leaned down and kissed her forehead. For some time , l stood there staring down at her.

How did l get so lucky!

I went out of the house and got into my Ferrari. I started the car and raced towards the company. I saw traffic in the distance and l decided to slow down but discovered the brakes wouldn't work. The car continued flying forward at an insane speed.

Panic seized me at the realisation. Someone had tampered with my car's brakes. There was a black BMW ahead of me and l was dangerously close to hitting it. I could see children playing inside. I quickly swerved aside the car and it ran down into the forest aside. I saw myself heading towards the cliff but with no power to control myself.

The smiling faces of Jane and Elena crossed my mind before my car toppled over the cliff.

~****~

JANE'S POV

I hugged the pillow close to myself, smiling in my sleep. The pillow had Ferracco's scent on it . It was like he was still here with me. The door creaked open creating a shaft of light in the darkened room. It was still at dawn.

"Ferracco!," l called out in the silent room, expecting him to be back.

The light went on and for a moment , it blinded my eyes until they adjusted. I saw Bianca standing in the doorway. I hurriedly pulled up the bed sheet to my neck to cover my nakedness. Her face looked pale and l could notice the tell tale signs of tears on her cheeks under the fluorescent light. I sat up straight worried.

Her frail condition worried me. Bianca was one of those people who were ever smiling so her pale face concerned me.

"Bianca, what's wrong?," l asked her.

She surprised me by immediately bursting out into loud sobs .

"Ferracco had a terrible accident," she cried out between sobs.

I stared at her trying to make sense of her words. When they finally registered in my brain, l let out a piercing scream.

Thirty minutes later , we were at the hospital in the waiting room. I held on to Aunt Amira , my heart drumming in my chest, tears silently streaming down my face. It has been over an hour since Ferracco went into the operating room. The doctor had told us that his condition was worse and they wouldn't guarantee if the surgery would be successful but they would try their best nevertheless.

Each passing second weighed heavy on my heart. I felt like l was slowly losing him and l couldn't bear the thought of it. I had lost enough people in my life , l couldn't lose him too. It would surely kill a part of me.