Chapter 28

JANE'S POV

Claudius looked up from his desktop computer when l opened his office door. A frown creased his forehead when he saw my tear stained face.

"What's wrong , Jane?," he asked in worry.

I had cried all the way to his office. Claudius got up from his seat and I rushed into his arms sobbing. He hugged me tightly stroking my hair.

"Ferracco declared a custody battle if l don't marry him again , " l choked out between sobs.

I felt him stiffen against me. He released me and held me at arm's length , regarding me with a suspicious glint in his eyes.

"Did you agree?," he asked me in a suspicious voice.

I pushed away his hands feeling offended.

"What do you think of me , Claudius? Do you not trust me?," l asked him feeling hurt.

He remained silent regarding my face. It felt like he was some detective interrogating a criminal. Pain ripped through me.

He didn't trust me! I felt hurt.

After a brief moment , his eyes softened and he gave me a sad smile.

"I am sorry sweetheart. It's just that you loved Ferracco for a long time...," he said whilst stroking my cheek.

I angrily pushed away his hand .

" Trust is the foundation of every relationship. We can't be together if you don't trust me , Claudius..."

His face hardened at my words.

"Well ! You are finally coming out in the open. I knew you wanted to break up with me for a long time but you just didn't have the guts. I don't get why that bastard always becomes a topic every time we are together," he gritted out.

"Claudius ! That's not what l meant," l quickly argued , my face pale in disbelief.

He stared at me gravely.

"How much do l mean to you , Jane? Have you ever loved me even a tiny bit? ," he asked me in a voice laced with sadness.

I looked away feeling guilty swirling inside me. I hated to admit it but the truth was that l had used Claudius as a rebound.

"You mean a lot to me and Elena," l quietly whispered fighting back tears.

A low laugh rumbled from his throat.

"Sometimes I feel like you are with me because of Elena."

I looked up at his face shaking my head as l blinked back tears.

"I admit that at first l accepted you because l wanted you to be Elena's father in the future but it's no longer the only reason. I think l am falling for you , Claudius. I love being with you...," l responded in all honesty.

"Jane, when you are in love , you don't think you are but you know it."

He took my right hand and placed it over my beating heart. His grey eyes held mine and l could see his affection for me shimmering in the depths of his eyes.

"You also feel it here," he added.

"Claudius l..."

He held up his hand to stop me.

"I can't ..do this ..anymore," he blurted out with difficulty.

"What do you mean by that?," l asked him , my heart picking up speed in fear.