Chapter 25

JANE'S POV

"Why did you tell him about Elena?, " Lola cried out at me in an angry voice.

I stood still and silent , suddenly paralysed to the spot by the reminder of my reckless actions. In my anger , l had told that vile man the existence of Elena.

What if he decided that what he stole from me wasn't enough and he needed Elena too!

My legs began to tremble at the new thought and l slumped on the nearest couch feeling drained. A lot of events had occurred in a single day and it was too much for my brain to register it all.

Aunt Amira was staring at me , her dark eyes filled with disappointment. Lola was glaring at me from her couch and Claudius was leaning against the wall, his eyes casted on the floor. I knew he was angry with me.

All of them felt betrayed and disappointed that l had kept this whole issue from them. I casted down my eyes on the floor feeling guilty. They were supposed to be my family yet l kept secrets from them.

I sucked in my breath feeling helpless.

" l did it for Elena's sake. I wanted to guarantee her safety. He won't include her in our battle because he knows it's his daughter, " l whispered over the lump in my throat .

A bitter taste rose in my mouth after saying these words. I hated to acknowledge that Elena was Ferracco's daughter. My princess didn't deserve that con artist for a father.

"What if he decides to file for custody," Aunt Amira softly spoke for the first time, echoing my thoughts.

I clutched my skirt feeling a cold trickle running down my back.

"He wouldn't dare ! Elena is my daughter and no one will take her away from me!," l shouted suddenly feeling hysterical.

Three pairs of shocked eyes turned to me. I then realised that l had overreacted. I drew in a deep breath to steady myself and racked a hand through my blond hair in agitation.

"I am sorry Aunt. I didn't mean to shout at you," l apologised to Amira.

"Jane , you must know that powerful men like Lucas Moretti can do anything,"Amira said in a meek voice laced with worry.

A shiver swept through me at her words.

"So what are you going to tell Elena?" Lola asked me.

"Nothing. There is no need to tell her about him. I am not letting that devil anyway near my daughter," l gritted out.

"Then you shouldn't have told him about Elena in the first place . You invited custody battle yourself," Lola said in a sharp voice.

She was very angry with me. Tears welled in my eyes at the prospect of losing my daughter. God couldn't be that heartless . I have had my share of suffering to last me a lifetime. I had lost my parents , been robbed of my family's inheritance. I couldn't lose my child.

"The judge will rule in her favour unless Ferracco pulls some strings with the judge. Elena is still young and needs a mother. She has been living with you for six years so she is more adapted to you than him. I will help with the case if he files for custody," Claudius quietly spoke from the corner.

I felt relief wash over me.

                                              ****