Chapter 23

JANE'S POV

(Flashback)

"So mummy when will you be back?," Elena pouted.

For the first time in her five years , l was leaving her behind for three full days and l felt kind of bad seeing her sad face but l had no other option. It was supposed to be a romantic getaway and it was a very bad idea to tag along with Elena.

" In three days baby. Don't worry. Aunt Lola will take you out to Disney land. You will have lots of fun together. "

I removed my clothes from the closet and dumped them on the bed. I began packing them in my travelling suitcase. It was Saturday and Claudius was taking me on a three day long vacation to a beach house at the outskirts of the city.

My phone beeped besides me. It was message from Claudius.

" l am coming to your place in two hours. Be ready by then. Love you."

I continued with my packing before my phone rang again. I was stunned to see Santiago's name flashing on the screen. Where was he all this time?

" Why didn't you call me all this time? Do you know how worried l was!," l reprimanded him in a sharp voice the moment l answered the phone.

" l caught something big! You gonna love this," he exclaimed in an excited voice.

My heart began thumping in anticipation.

                                         ****
Ten minutes later , l quietly slipped out of the house through the back door and flagged down a taxi. The small cab raced down to the restaurant where l was going to meet up with Santiago. The restaurant was thirty minutes away. And each time , we inched nearer to it ,my heart beat tripled. Sweat appeared on my forehead though it was a cold day. I was scared to confront whatever Santiago had dug out.

He was already there having his coffee when l arrived. He greeted me with one of his infamous grins and l knew he had gotten hold of some important information. I slid into an empty seat opposite him in the booth. I was relieved that he had taken a corner table. I didn't want anyone to eavesdrop on our conversation.