Chapter 32

JANE'S POV

"Dad took me to an amusement park. We had lots of fun. He bought me a barbie doll......," Elena prattled about her adventures at the park.

I smiled and pretended to listen to her gushing but actually my mind was in a far away place.

"Dad!," Elena squealed excitedly.

I snapped out of my trance. Ferracco was standing in the doorway of the bathroom making funny faces at Elena . Elena giggled at him. The two of them had became inseparable these past few weeks. I felt jealous and left out.

It felt as if Ferracco was slowly robbing me of her. I had called Aunt Amira several times telling her of my worries. She only comforted me by telling me that l had nothing to worry about because l was Elena's mother and she would always choose me first.

I cast Ferracco an enquiry glance. We had pretty made clear of our boundaries.

1) Neither of us are supposed to enter each other's room without the owner's permission.
2) We were supposed to give each other time and space to be with Elena( and Elena's bath time was definitely one of my bonding moments with my daughter and he was intruding)
3) We were supposed to avoid going into public together ( the paparazzi were the most nosy people to ever grace the earth. They always made a mountain out of everything)

"Bianca has gone to visit her family. Should l order Chinese or Italian? ," he quickly explained himself.

"Don't order anything . l will cook dinner once l finish bathing Elena."

His lips trembled on the brink of a smile. He cocked one eyebrow at me.

"When did you learn to cook ? Back then you couldn't even fry an egg...," he chuckled.

His voice trailed off when he noticed my icy look.

"Let's not talk about the past," l whispered over the lump in my throat.

An awkward silence hung over us. We silently stared at each other for a moment. Ferracco was the one to look away first , clearing his throat.

" l will do it," he broke the awkward moment between us.

I tore my gaze away from him feeling my cheeks reddening.

"Do what?," l asked him in confusion.

"Bathing princess."

I nod my head in understanding . He moved into the bathroom and kneeled besides me. Suddenly the room felt too small and suffocating. His presence had always commanded attention whereever he was. That was one of the things that lured me to him.

He was too close that l could smell his lemon scented aftershave. I was surprised that he still used the same aftershave even after six years. I quickly brushed aside these thoughts.

The memories from six years ago were the most unpleasant for me. That dreadful year was filled with painful things.

Loss , tears , betrayal and humiliation!

That year, l lost the two people l loved the most in the world. That year , l was conned by the man l used to love the most.

The only thing that had brightened that year was the birth of Elena. Ferracco took the towel from my hand. I shuddered in shock at all the familiar sensations that ran through me at his touch. I quickly pulled back my hand from his .

He raised his eyes to me , alarmed by my reaction. His blue eyes were intent on me. It was like they were searing through my soul , seeing hidden things beneath.