Chapter 48

JANE'S POV

Luis, my new father stared at me with tears and gratefulness shining in his grey eyes. I gave him a tremulous smile.

"Thank you for accepting me ," he said in a trembling voice.

I was suddenly engulfed in a tight hug. His thin body rocked with broken sobs in my arms. I wrapped my arms around him awkwardly patting his back.

"You are still my father," l whispered to him.

Shortly after my nap, Bianca had came to my room . She had convinced me to forgive my father. She told me that life was too short to live wallowing in bitterness. I then decided to forgive him and it felt great to lift off one weight from my heart.

Ferracco stood besides me . He wrapped his arm around me and looked down at me his blue eyes shining with proudness.

"I am so eager to see my only grandchild," he squeaked.

Luis was still a bachelor. He never married and that made me his only child.

"She will be back shortly," l told him.

I drew aside to call Lola.

"Thank heavens you finally called. I called you a million times but you didn't answer. I was so scared. What the hell happened between you too?"

Her shrill voice came through . l had to hold my cellphone a bit further least my ears gets damaged by her high pitched voice.

"My cellphone was on silent. Bring Aunt Amira to dinner tonight. I have something to tell you."

I heard a string of unladylike curses from the other end.

"Did that bastard did something again! I swear that l ...."

I ended the call before Lola finished her cursing. I went back to Luis and Ferracco. Luis stared at Ferracco long and hard.

"I forgave you for deserting my daughter once. If you hurt her again, l will bury you alive," he warned in a deadly voice.

Ferracco hung down his head.

"Yes Sir."

I fought the urge to snicker. Someone proud and arrogant like Ferracco was actually intimidated by a short aging man like Luis.

A low laugh rumbled from Luis as he patted Ferracco's back.

"I have known you for ten years now. Call me father," he chuckled.

Ferracco raised his head and forced a smile on his face. Luis took our hands and joined them.

"I give you my blessing. Be happy."

~****~

"Meu Dues! I can't believe Mr Augusto was this kind of person!," Aunt Amira exclaimed in horror .

I was sitting in front of the dressing table and Lola was making the final touches to my makeup. Lola smiled at my reflection in the mirror.

"Perfecto! ," she said as she placed down the eyeliner on the vanity table.

"Appearances can be very deceiving!," l said sarcastically.

Lola's worried eyes met mine through the mirror.

"Jane , how are you feeling about all this?," she asked me.

I stared back at her reflection with tears darkening my eyes. Lola took my hand and led me to the bed. She kneeled besides me and clasped my trembling hands.