Chapter 38

"You were you,
and I was I;
we were two,
before our time.

"I was yours,
before I knew;
and you have always
been mine too."

-Lang Leav
__________________________________

Taraa's POV

"Noona, why are you smiling so much to yourself today?" Hyunwoo asked with a mouthful of food, as I was feeding him.

My eyes automatically flew to Jungkook, who was surrounded by kids while playing with them.

"Am I?" I asked, looking at Hyunwoo and he nodded. "Well, let's just say something extremely good has happened to me." I replied.

He opened his mouth to say or ask something more, but was interrupted by Jungkook who walked towards us.

"Hyunwoo-ah, do you only like your noona and not me?" he asked, crouching down beside Hyunwoo.

"No, hyung. I like you both." Hyunwoo replied.

"Then, let me feed you. And let noona play with others for a while." Jungkook suggested and Hyunwoo agreed eagerly.

I passed the food to Jungkook and left the boys alone.

While playing with other kids, I noticed that Hyunwoo and Jungkook were talking much more than usual. They really had formed a precious bond over time.

When orange colour had started blending in the blue colour of the sky, we left the orphanage.

"Y'know what Hyunwoo asked me today?" Jungkook asked, as I was looking at the trees that sped by fast behind us.

"What?"

"That why I looked happier than usual today." he answered.

"Really?" A small smile tug at my lips remembering how Hyunwoo had asked the same question to me. "And what did you answer?"

Jungkook looked at me for an instant before focussing his eyes back on the road.

"The truth."

"Which is?" I asked, now curious.

"The new joystick that I ordered arrived this morning." he answered.

"Oh." I blurted before I could stop myself. I immediately covered it by coughing a bit and drinking water. "That's good." I said shortly, smiling forcefully.

And here I thought it was because of me. Like how he was the reason behind my elated mood today.

I started looking outside the window, annoyed at myself for expecting something else as an answer. There was silence before Jungkook suddenly broke into fits of laughter, surprising me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"You-you are so cute!" he said, pinching my cheeks and making me hiss in pain. I also squeezed his cheeks more violently but it didn't affect him and he just laughed more.

"God! You are driving. It's not safe." I warned him.

"Okay, okay." he said, controlling his laughter. "But, seriously, the way your expression changed." he said and I was aware how it must have been noticeable.

"What do you mean? I don't get it." I said, looking away from him, faking it.

Jungkook suddenly applied the brakes and I found us standing at a roadside, in the car.