Times Before Draco

AnnaLeigh Malfoy

"I don't know what we were thinking Draco" I said as I slipped on a pair of sweatpants.

"She didn't tell me-"

"She wouldn't have to. It's not her job to take care of our child, it's ours" I sighed. Narcissa wasn't able to look after Elora. She was going on a blind date. She never told Draco because he gets so defensive about these things, I don't blame her.

"We need time for ourselves–"

"Don't. Draco. I feel like we never take care of her. Your mother rejecting was like a fucking wake up call. She's always at Lani's, we have to much fucking time for ourselves" I said as I sat down on our bed.

"You can't say that. You have stayed with her every single day, got up at all hours of the night and morning when she cries, breast fed her—yes Kehlani has had her a couple of times but you're her mother" he said as he sat down next to me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"We can't go out, we're always out. Can we jus- just have a few days to be in our home, just be normal?" I asked as I looked over at him. He looked down to the floor before looking back up and smiling.

"Of course" he kissed me on the cheek "I'm gonna go have a shower" he said as he stood. I nodded and watched him disappear behind the bathroom door.

I sighed and laid back down on the bed.

When Narcissa said she couldn't watch Elora it was like a light switched on in my brain, I realised how much we hoist her off to Kehlani. Yes we look after her and we love her–she's my child for fucks sake, not Kehlani's, not Draco's mother's.

I felt like such a failure as a mother. I didn't want her to feel like a burden, like our life's stopped because of her because they didn't, they only just begun. She was half the reason I get up in the morning and the fact that it's so easy for me to just chuck her to my friend is making me feel so disgusted.

I swiped my hands over my face as I brought my legs to my chest. I had the biggest headache. I heard the faith crying of Elora in the distance as I sighed and stood up from the bed, making my way towards her room.

I pushed open the door to her room and watched as she squirmed in her cot. I walked over and gently took her into my arms before walking backwards and sitting on the nursing chair.

She was still fussy so I careful started to rock her gently in my arms and soon enough she settled and closed her eyes. I didn't want to put her back down in her bed just yet so I just sat there, still swaying her slowly.

"Hey..." I looked up from Elora, my eyes faintly glossy, to see Kehlani. She had left shortly after I told her Draco and I were going to dinner. She never got to tell me how her and Albus went so I was excited to know.

"Hey" I whispered as I gave her a small smile before looking back down to Elora.

"What's wrong?" She whispered as she walked into the room and sat on the small stool before me.

"I'm sorry" I said as I stood and gently placed Elora back in her cot.

"Sorry? Sorry for what?" She asked as she filled me out of the room and into the hallway.

"I didn't realise how much I was doing it and I feel so shitty already–"

"About what, what's going on?" She crossed her arms and frowned at me confused.

"Elora and how much I just gave her to you so I could do stuff with Draco, I'm sorry I didn't mean-"

"You're kidding right?" She chuckled as I frowned, she was seriously laughing when I was trying to apologise for being a shitty mother?

"I'm serious Lani–"

"You need to shut up right now because you sound fucking stupid" she stopped me as I crossed my arms this time "I see Elora once a week and I fucking love it–I love her"

"I know Lani but it's not your job. I shouldn't be–"

"You don't give her to me, Anna I take her from you. Every time I had taken her, I offered" she said "I don't know what's got you feeling like you're a bad mum but just know that you're not"

"Narcissa" I said simply "Draco and I had plans to go out for dinner tonight but She couldn't watch him and it was like a- a switch turned on in my brain or some shit. I realised that you look after Elora a lot and you're not even her mother"

"I look after her once a week. Sometimes it's not even for the full day and sometimes she spends the night. If I hated it, I would tell you. C'mon Anna, you know me" she laughed as she  pulled me into a hug.

"Are you sure?" I croaked out as I wrapped my arms around her neck. I was taller then her but only by half and inch.

"Yes" she said "Now this is getting to touchy and I'm don't do that shit unless you're dying or in labour so.." she laughed as she gently pushed me away.

"I'm sorry I don't know what came over me" I laughed as I wiped the lose tear that fell from my eye "I'm so emotional lately, I almost think I'm pregnant again"

"Fuck no–"

"I'm kidding, Lani. I'm on the vial and Draco uses a contraceptive charm after" I laughed as she placed her hand on her chest and dramatically sighed.

"Thank god. The next child I wanna see is my own" she joked as I shook my head and started  to walk down the stairs.

"So how did shit go with Albus?" I asked as she followed me.

"That's actually why I'm here in the first place" she said as I entered the living room.

"Wait so it went well?" I sat down on the couch and tucked my feet underneath me as she did the same next to me.

"Yes" she said as I squealed in excitement. I'm always so wrapped up in my own love life that I never pay attention to anybody else's so it was such a rush to hear.

"Oh my Merlin, Lani! That's brilliant! How'd did it go? What did he say? Did you fuck? Give me all the details" I giggled as Kehlani started to explain.

For the first time in a long time I felt like a school girl again. Sitting up late at night while we gossip about boys and laugh about nothing. I never realised how much I missed acting like I didn't have any responsibilities, how much I missed having the score on my potions exam be the only worry I had.

"...Then he cooked me dinner, like he actually cooked and fuck he's an amazing cook. He made like this pasta shit, it's was good" she finished as I laughed and smiled at her "He also–why are you looking at me like that?"

"No reason. I'm just really happy for you Lani" I smiled.

"Thank you" she nodded "Oh– I almost forgot..." she continued to talk about nonsense and I enjoyed it, savoured every second of it. Made me remember when times were–well not really simple but less stressful, times when I knew what was gonna happen next.

Times before Draco.

Sorry this is a short chapter but it was just a little filler 😉

Word count 1301.