Chapter 23:

George decided to pick me up at my apartment and let me ride with him and Izzie to work. I get dressed for the day then I walk out of my apartment where George is already waiting for me with a cup of coffee.

Delilah: this is why I keep you around.

We walk to the car together and I get in the front seat. When I get in the car, I wave to Izzie and I jump a little when I see Doc, Mer's dog, sitting in the back seat with Izzie.

Delilah: what is your dog doing in the car? The last time I checked, animals aren't allowed at the hospital.
George: that is not my dog, and Meredith has to get rid of it.
Delilah: as cute as this little guy is, yeah I agree. He terrorizes your house and every time I come over, he either tries to mount me from behind or tries to kill me.

We drive to the hospital. When we get there, we put Doc on his leash then drag him towards the hospital. We see Meredith and Cristina walking by the railing of the mezzanine and George bangs on the window to get there attention. We see them look down at the window.

George: Cujo has to go!

We sneak Doc into the hospital and into the locker room. When we get to the locker room, I change into my scrubs as Izzie and George talk to Meredith.

Izzie: he peed on my bed. My bed Meredith!
Meredith: he's our dog!
George: no, he's not my dog. You two bought him, without even asking me.
Meredith: we rescued him from certain death. Come on guys.
George: I'm putting my foot down. Either the dog moves out or I do. Foot. Down. Now. Me or the dog, which is it?

Meredith looks down at Doc then at George.

George: you hesitated! She hesitated!
Izzie: you hesitated?!
Delilah: Meredith Grey, how dare you hesitate!
Meredith: I didn't hesitate! I was thinking.
George: you have to think about it? Fine! I'm moving out right now.

George goes to leave the locker room but Dr. Bailey pops in.

George: later. I'm moving out later because right now, I have rounds.
Bailey: tell me that is not a dog.
Interns: it's not a dog.

Bailey's pager goes off and we follow out to the emergency doors. We help the paramedics, including one paramedic who I knew as Tony, wheel the patient out of the ambulance.

Tony: Rick Freeark, 29. Severed 3 fingers on his left hand. Controlled the bleeding in field. Vitals stable. Gave him five of morphine on the way in.
Bailey: the fingers?
Tony: had some trouble retrieving them so we took off. Rich behind us found them. They're iced and ready to go. 10 minutes out.
Delilah: continue with IV fluids and starts course of antibiotics. Thanks Tony.
Tony: no problem Del.
Bailey: Yang, wait outside for the fingers.

We take Rick to a trauma room while Cristina waits outside for the detached fingers.

Rick: you can sew them back on, right? Cause they sewed that guy's penis back on after his wife chopped it off, right?
Bailey: penises and fingers. Like apples and oranges.
George: how did it happen?
Rick: I was loading my gear onto my truck for a gig and my hand caught in the lift gate.
Alex: you're a musician?
Rick: I play the fricking guitar. You can sew them on, right? It's not that big of a deal, right? Oh dude, I better not be out of the band.

I page my dad and stay with Rick while the others leave. My dad smiles at me when he walks into the room.

Dad: you paged me Dr. Shepherd?
Delilah: yes Dr. Shepherd. This is Rick Freeark, 29 years old. Severed 3 fingers when his hand got caught in a lift gate loading gear into his truck. Dr. Bailey wanted me to page you so you can look to see if the cuts are clean or not.
Dad: I can do that.