Chapter 133: During the Storm

Jackson and I are standing next to Mer and dad in the lobby with everyone discussing the big storm that's coming our way.

Owen: this storm will bring in a lot of casualties. We're gonna need to make room for them, so let's discharge all the patients that can be. Post-op and long term patients are gonna be transferred to Seattle Pres further inland. We're gonna bring in supplementals– water, food, meds, lighting. Uh, we're gonna be checking and refueling the backup generators. As for you surgeons, push, postpone or cancel all elective procedures until after the storm...
Meredith: so we're cancelling surgeries now?
Dad: well, you can afford to slow down a little bit.
Delilah: no way I'm missing Tyler's surgery.
Jackson: you can afford to slow down too honey.
M&D: I'm pregnant, I'm not sick.
Dad: you're both very pregnant.
Jackson: yeah honey. You and Meredith are both three weeks away from your due date.

Considering the fact that I'm pregnant with twins, my belly is bigger than it is than being pregnant with one baby.

Alex: Lilah.

I turn around to see Alex behind me.

Delilah: what's up Alex?
Alex: I need your help. Come with me.

Alex grabs my hand and drags me away from the crowd and starts giving me information about a patient.

Alex: I brought him in a few hours ago. He had a CT. I wanted to wait for you.

Alex pulls the curtain of a trauma room and my eyes grow wide when I see who the patient was.

Delilah: Alex...
Alex: you gotta help him. It's Chest Peckwell. I mean, Jason Myers.

I page my dad and I start examining him. Once my dad and Brooks get to the room, we look over his scans.

Heather: what happened?
Alex: what does it look like?
Dad: Brooks, what do you see?
Heather: like, someone super messed him up.
Delilah: talk like a doctor Brooks.
Brooks: um, temporal bone fracture with an epidural hemorrhage.
Dad: how soon does the bleed need to be evacuated?
Heather: like, yesterday.
Dad: yeah, book an OR. Let's get him up there.

Brooks leaves the room then dad and I look at Alex.

Dad: Karev, what the hell happened? Who did this?
Alex: make sure he doesn't die. You can't let him die, okay?

Dad nods at Alex.

Dad: Lilah, you're scrubbing in.

I was about to follow my dad when I felt a pain in my stomach, causing me to wince.

Delilah: you go. You don't need me.
Dad: are you okay honey?
Delilah: I'm fine. Just go, I can page someone. And besides, I have my cleft baby in a bit.
Leon: I know someone who'd be willing to scrub in Dr. Shepherd.

I look up and my eyes grow wide when I see Leon Drake standing at the door. After the shooting, Leon moved away to Atlanta, Georgia to be with his family. After he lost his best friend and nearly losing his own life, he couldn't stand working here anymore so he quit immediately and ran off.

Delilah: Drake?
Leon: hey Dr. Shepherd.

I walk over to my former intern and hug him.

Delilah: what the hell are you doing here?
Leon: I'm back for good. Wow, clearly a lot has changed.
Delilah: it's so good to see you.
Leon: I can scrub in with you Dr. Shepherd.
Dad: can I trust him?
Delilah: yes you can dad. He's...

I felt the pain in my stomach again.

Delilah: the best you can have.
Dad: are you okay honey?
Delilah: just go take care of Myers.