Chapter 97:

I'm walking through the halls with Mer and Cris, who is now back to work. Cris and I listen as Mer talks about her and my dad trying to have a baby.

Cristina: try again. Could be a false negative. Maybe you tried too early.
Delilah: Cris has a point. What is it, day ten?
Meredith: yeah.
Cristina: yeah, totally early. Pee on a bunch of different sticks. Don't let the one stick win.
Meredith: well, it's a scientific test. I hardly think that I can bend it to my will.
Delilah: that's a good point.
Cristina: I'm doing three surgeries today. I did four yesterday. I'm unstoppable.
Delilah: hell yeah you are Crissy.
Cristina: I'm unstoppable, and you got defeated by a piece of plastic covered in urine? Buck up.

I hear footsteps behind me and I see my boyfriend from the corner of my eye walking behind us with Alex, April and Dylan.

Jackson: what is this, everybody got paged?
Delilah: it's that time of year again. Personally, my favourite time.
A&D: the chicks have hatched.

I take Jackson's hand in mine as we walk.

April: is that some sort of code?
Alex: those chicks.

My smile grows wide when I see Dr. Webber and Lexie approach us with med students following them.

Cristina: oh, first year med students. Too dumb to find the toilet.

I chuckle at Cristina's comment but nudge her a bit.

Webber: good morning. Behind me stands the interns and residents of tomorrow. Today, you will show them what it's like to be a surgeon. When you go into surgery, they go into surgery. When they have a question, you will answer.
Cristina: it's like court ordered community service.
Meredith: I'd rather be picking up trash off the side of the highway.

I nudge both Cristina and Meredith in the ribs.

Lexie: Fred Wilson, you're with Dr. Yang. Kira Donnelley, with Dr. Grey. Hudson Powell, with Dr. Kepner. Laurel Pinson...

I hear Dylan and Alex quietly bickering behind me.

Alex: mine.
Dylan: mine.
Alex: mine.
Lexie: Laurel, you're... with Dr. Karev. Edward Taylor, with Dr. Avery. Mason Taylor, with Dr. Hudson. And Steven Brown, with Dr. Shepherd.

I wave my hand and a young man approaches me.

Delilah: hi there Steven. I'm Dr. Delilah Shepherd. It's nice to meet you.
Steven: uh actually, we've met.
Delilah: we have?
Steven: you, uh, used to babysit my younger brothers and sisters.

I look at Steven's face then I get hit by a wave of shock.

Delilah: oh my god, little Steve!
Steven: that's me.
Delilah: hi! Oh my god, you're in med school now. Holy crap!
Steven: yeah.

Suddenly, I hear Chief Webber talking.

Webber: I will be picking my Chief Resident in a few months...

I perk up at the mention of Chief Resident.

Webber: and you're still a prime candidate, along with someone else.

Oh my god.

Meredith: the race for Chief Resident is on?
A&D: since when?
April: uh, how long have you been evaluating us?
Webber: since your first day here.

I look back at Steven and give him a smile.

Delilah: okay Steven, we will be working with Dr. Callie Torres today. She is an Ortho surgeon.
Steven: is she good?
Delilah: she's an amazing surgeon, and she's one of my closest friends. Follow me to the ambulance bay.