Chapter 24:

Today is the day of the big nurses strike and it's gonna be a crazy day. Although I totally stand with the nurses, I have a job to do so in order to avoid getting yelled at and stuff thrown at me, I slept at the hospital the night before. I wake up in the empty on-call room that I took and I throw my hair in a bun then I run to the locker room to change into my scrubs. Once I was ready for the day, I run and find my dad with Burke.

Delilah: morning!
Dad: hey!
Burke: good morning Shepherd.
Dad: hold on, how did you get through the herd of nurses?
Delilah: I slept here last night. Although most of the nurses absolutely adore me, I didn't want to take my chances.
Dad: smart move kid.
Delilah: you know it.

We see the Chief in the distance and I follow my dad and Burke as they pounce on the Chief.

Dad: this place is going to hell.
Burke: we need to find a way to compromise.

Burke walks off while dad stays with Webber.

Dad: we need the real nurses back.
Webber: we need an additional 40 nurses to relieve the overtime that they're striking about. That's 2 million dollars a year we don't have.
Dad: have you checked under the couch? I always find spare change under the cushions.

I stifle a laugh as the Chief gives my dad a sour look.

Dad: okay, I'm silencing myself.

I laugh at my dad and loop my arm through his as we separate from the Chief.

Delilah: ugh!! I don't wanna find out who my new resident is.
Dad: you don't?
Delilah: I just want Bailey back. Nobody can compete with Bailey.
Dad: I'm sure whoever they give you will be just as good as Bailey.
Delilah: I highly doubt it but whatever. I'm gonna find the others but I'll see you around.

My dad kisses my cheek then I run off to find the others. I find them by the nurses station.

Delilah: there you are!
Alex: hey.
Izzie: George and I went to your apartment this morning and you weren't there.
Delilah: I slept here yesterday to avoid the chaos of the outside of the hospital.
Izzie: ugh, you would've gotten in fine! The nurses love you. I hate you sometimes.
Cristina: everybody just loves baby Shepherd.
Delilah: true. Anyways, what are we doing?
Cristina: trying to figure out Bailey's replacement is.
Delilah: whoever it is, I know for a fact I'm not gonna like them until Bailey gets back. I'll just pretend to like them.
Alex: little Shepherd pretending to like someone? Who are you and what did you do with the real Delilah?

I chuckle at Alex and shove him lightly as he wraps an arm around me.

Cristina: ooo! Yes, yes, that's him. He's been published twice and he's flawless.
Delilah: oh no, not him.
Izzie: oh, I don't want that guy. That guy's a freak, he doesn't let you speak in the OR.
Cristina: yeah, but he's flawless.
Delilah: he's weird.

Another doctor walks by.

Alex: I think it's him. What's his name again?
Cristina: oh yeah, mouth breather guy. But he'll let you do a procedure on your own if he likes you.

I see Meredith join the group.

Meredith: what are we doing?
Alex: trying to figure out who they're going to pick for Bailey's replacement.

Suddenly, I startled by a loud voice coming from the stairs.

Sydney: Yang, Stevens, Grey, Shepherd, O'Malley, Karev!

We turn around and we see a young and very perky female approaching us.

Sydney: here you are! I was looking for you guys in the locker room but you weren't there and then I thought, well, maybe my interns are looking for me too and then I come out here and here you are.