Chapter 166:

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is mortality" - Emily Dickinson

Empty. Broken. That is how I feel. Empty... and broken. The death of my father has forever changed me and I will never be the same. Now that my father is gone, there is a hole in my heart that can never be fixed.

I walk around the hospital looking for Jackson and I end up finding him with Dylan.

Dylan: oh my god, there you are!!

Jackson looks over at me and both boys run over to me and hug me.

Jackson: I've been calling you all night. What happened to you? You didn't answer my calls or my texts. I was so worried baby—
Delilah: my dad. He's... he's dead.

The boys pull away and look at me in pure shock.

Dylan: wait... what?
Delilah: h-he was in a-an MVC accident. He's... h-he's dead.

My whole world felt like it was spinning. My heart was physically aching and I couldn't take it.

Jackson's POV:

Delilah: my dad. He's... he's dead.

Dylan and I pull away from Delilah and look at her in pure shock.

Dylan: wait... what?
Delilah: h-he was in a-an MVC accident. He's... h-he's dead.

My face goes from shock to pure sadness. My wife just lost her father, the most important man in her life... the man she loved most in the world.

I made a promise to Derek a long time ago that I would take care of Delilah if anything were to ever happen to him, and I plan on keeping that promise. Immediately after Derek found out about Lilah and I, I immediately saw him as family.

It broke my heart losing my father in-law, and it hurt me even more to see the love of my life fall apart at the loss of her father.

My POV:

I started feeling dizzy then, darkness consumes me.

-later-

I wake up in a hospital bed. I slowly open my eyes and the first person I see is Owen.

Delilah: Owen...

Owen doesn't respond but he sits on the edge of the bed and pulls me into a big hug. In that moment, I let it all out.

Owen's POV:

Jackson came to me and told me that Delilah had fainted so I stay in her room until she wakes up. I keep her hand in mine and wait until she wakes up.

Derek's death broke my heart, more so because Derek was the most important man in Delilah's life. I cannot imagine the amount of pain she is going through. Delilah is one of the best people in my life. I love her with everything in me and I hated seeing her in pain.

I see Delilah slowly begin to wake up so I hold her hand a bit tighter as she begins to open her eyes. The second her eyes open, the first thing she does is look at me.

Delilah: Owen...

I don't respond, but I sit on the edge of her bed and throw her into a hug. The second I pull her into my arms, she breaks down. It broke my heart to hear Delilah sob over her father.

3rd Person POV:

Time passes and with every day that passes, Delilah Shepherd grew colder. Ever since the death of her father, the younger Shepherd was slowly slipping away and becoming a different person.