Chapter 28:

Another day, another shift at Seattle Grace. Bailey came to work with baby Tuck today and to say I was excited was an understatement. I'm walking with the others up some stairs. George was beside Bailey who was holding her baby that she brought to work while Izzie, Cristina, Mer and I were lagging behind them.

Izzie: what happened to George's hair? Is he having a nervous breakdown?
Cristina: Burke says he's got issues. Ugh, you should see them together. Like... doing things, like running... and cooking, and talking. They're, like, bonding.
Izzie: and you're afraid that Burke will realize he makes a better girlfriend than you?

I chuckle at Izzie's joke and high five her.

Cristina: you know Meredith, just go and apologize to him.
Meredith: I've tried!
Izzie: try again. Things can't stay like this, they suck like this.
Delilah: Izzie's right Mer bear. If things don't get fixed, our group is going to fall apart and I don't want that.

I see Alex running up to us to catch up. He stands in between Izzie and I then he wraps his arm around my waist.

Alex: what's up with O'Malley's hair? He looks like a hobbit.
Izzie: he's just trying a new look.
Alex: you never called me back last night. You avoiding me?
Izzie: why would I be avoiding you?

We continue walking until we reach Denny Duquette's room. Welp... there's your answer Izzie.

Izzie: Denny Duquette, age 36.
Denny: 37 in 3 weeks.

I notice the very bright smile on Izzie's face and I knew what it meant.

Izzie: 37 in 3 weeks. He's having difficulty breathing and chest pains.
Burke: breath sounds?
Izzie: still a little junky. He had a build up fluid in his system.
Denny: hey, did you call me a junkie? That's not very nice.

I would've laughed at Denny's joke if I hadn't seen the way Izzie was smiling at him. I thought to myself, "what the hell is wrong with her".

Burke: Denny, your congestive heart failure is getting worse despite the meds.
Denny: alright. So, how do we proceed?
Burke: doctors, how do we proceed?

Izzie steps forward to speak but Alex beats her to it.

Alex: up his nitrate drip and continue with diuretics plus—
Izzie: ACE-inhibitors, Beta-blockers—
Delilah: and start dobutamine.
Burke: I also want ins and outs recorded and one of you monitoring him at all times.
Izzie: I'll stay.

Of course she will...

Alex: me too.

Alex pushes past us to stand next to Izzie. We leave the room then the rest of us walk to the next patient's room, with Addison meeting up with us. We walk into the room of a pregnant 30 or so year old woman with her husband.

Addison: Mr and Mrs Gibson, I'm Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd. I'll be covering for Dr. Pollack.
Meredith: Mrs. Gibson had a pre-term rupture of her membranes at 28 weeks.
Cristina: she's confined to supervised bed rest for 7 weeks and has a low grade fever.
Mrs. Gibson: can't you just schedule a C? Believe me, I'm ready to have this baby.
Mr. Gibson: hey, you and me both.

Mr. Gibson chuckles but his wife gives him a look, making him go silent.

Addison: I want to get your blood work back before we make any further decisions.
Mrs. Gibson: I have to pee. Again.