Chapter 155:

I've been getting texts from dad all morning but I've been ignoring him since I'm still mad that he left for DC without saying goodbye. I stand with Owen in the ER and I was a bit tense considering everything with my dad.

Owen: you okay Shep?
Delilah: I'm fine.
Owen: you sound upset.
Delilah: I don't wanna talk about it Owen, okay?

Owen nods his head then we start informing everyone about the incoming trauma coming in.

Owen: we don't have numbers yet, but be prepared for as many as 20 casualties, many of them kids.
Meredith: what happened?
Delilah: a woman drove off a bridge with her two kids in the car. Witnesses are saying that the woman started speeding, she rammed a bunch of vehicles and then she took a sharp right off the bridge into the water.
Owen: police believe this was intentional.
Stephanie: oh my god.
Callie: with her kids?
Delilah: let's cooperate with the police and do our jobs, okay?

I run out with Owen to the ambulance bay and start waiting for ambulances. The first one pulls up and I take charge.

Delilah: what do we got?
Paramedic: 10 year old female Mia James. GCS of 14, but was unconscious at the scene. Deep facial lac. Little brother and mom are right behind us.

I start checking the girl's pupils.

Delilah: Mia, I'm Dr. Avery and this is Dr. Hunt. Can you hear me?
Mia: where's my mom? Is she okay?
Delilah: we'll find out as soon as we can, okay sweetheart. Just stay calm, you're going to be alright. Let's get her inside.

We get the family inside and set up in trauma rooms then I walk over with Hunt to the nurses station.

Owen: you seem tense. You sure you're alright Lilah?
Delilah: Owen, you know I love you and I appreciate that you want to make me feel better, but I really don't want to talk about it.
Owen: okay, but I'm here if you ever want to talk.
Delilah: thanks Owen.

Mer comes out of a trauma room.

Meredith: Hunt, Lilah. Driver's in bad shape. We're taking her up. I'm gonna alert the OR.

As Mer starts to alert the OR, a man approaches the nurses station.

Mr. James: I-I'm looking for my wife and kids. Uh, uh, Brooke James. Uh, kids are Mia and—
Delilah: Parker, right?
Mr. James: they said som woman hit their car and drove off a bridge?
Owen: Mr. James, your wife is on her way to surgery. Your kids are being treated. Your wife was the driver. She... drove off the bridge.
Mr. James: what? Oh no. T-that's crazy.
Delilah: sir—
Mr. James: no, she wouldn't do that. That's crazy.
Security: Mr. James, can you come with us? Can you come with us.
Mr. James: woah woah woah, excuse me. She wouldn't do that.
Security: Mr. James– thank you sir.
Mr. James: she wouldn't do that. It's a lie!

I sigh as security takes Mr. James away from us.

-later-

I'm with Owen getting supplies when Dylan approaches us. I didn't even think he'd show up to work considering the news he just got.

Dylan: Chief, uh, just wanted to let you know that I don't think Kepner's gonna make it in today. We had some news, um—
Owen: April's here.
Dylan: wait. What?
Owen: yeah. She's been here all morning, she's just on her way up to surgery. Everything okay?
Dylan: uh... yeah, yeah. Thank you.

Dylan walks off but comes back.

Dylan: you know what? No. Actually, I need you both to pull her out of surgery right now.
Owen: Hudson, we can't—
Dylan: no, look. She shouldn't operate. She shouldn't even be at work today at all, so she should definitely not be operating. Delilah knows why, but I need you to trust me when I say that.