Chapter 46:

As much as I hated triage, I decided to be there anyways. Sydney Heron was acting as a patient while Izzie was explaining her symptoms.

Izzie: a lot of arm swelling but good distal pulses so... we can rule out compartment syndrome. I suspect a radius fracture so I'd splint and get an ortho follow up.
Bailey: anything else?
Izzie: no.

I stifle a laugh. Izzie was missing something but I wasn't going to say anything yet.

Bailey: okay. Then, I guess that means—
Callie: time.
Sydney: and I'm dead.
Izzie: dead?

We all look at Sydney as she pretends to die.

Bailey: you sent her home. The bone punctured through her skin.
Izzie: yeah, but she had multiple wounds and... abrasions.
Delilah: a puncture over a break is an open fracture until proven otherwise.
Sydney: correct Dr. Shepherd. So, I got septic and I died at home, thanks to you.
Izzie: whatever.
Sydney: not whatever to minor dead puncture wound that's not guy.
Bailey: you have to be quick and thorough while using your instincts. You can't be fooled by what your eyes see. If you assess wrong, your patient could die while waiting for treatment. Karev, you're next.
Izzie: just think, I already killed her, you can't do more damage than that.
Bailey: people, triage is one of the most important tools a doctor has. In a real emergent scenario, you'll have only minutes...
Callie: and it's something you'll be tested on in your surgical exams.

I see George snap a picture of Callie with a Polaroid camera.

George: sorry.
Callie: George.
George: I was just recording the drill.

Callie grabs George and they step aside.

Bailey: O'Malley, take that back to the clinic where it belongs.
George: yes Dr. Bailey.

The Chief walks into the room as George goes to leave.

Webber: people. Look, I'm sorry. I have to interrupt the session for a moment.
Sydney: Chief, I like your new hair. Really brings out your eyes.
Bailey: do you need something sir?
Webber: we received word of a mass casualty incident nearby. All available level 1 trauma centres have been asked to respond. I need to send a team into the field immediately,
Cristina: is this part of the exercise? Are we supposed to act appropriately, um... tense?
Webber: this is not an exercise or a drill Yang. This is an emergent situation and I need all hands on deck.
Izzie: seriously?
Bailey: what happened?
Webber: I don't have details, just orders.

We all follow Bailey out and we start packing our triage kits.

Cristina: Meredith? I have a thing. News.
Meredith: you're not pregnant again, are you? Cause I can't handle the extra months of bitchiness.

I see Bailey walk up to me and the girls.

Bailey: we're catching a ride with Seattle 34, space is tight so hold your kits on your lap.
Alex: where are we going?
Bailey: we'll know when we get there:

We start walking to the ambulance bay.

Izzie: fire? Flood? Volcano? I'm not really dressed for a volcano.
Bailey: Stevens.
Izzie: sorry, inappropriate. Sorry.
Paramedic: woah woah woah woah. I'm hauling supplies, I only have room for five.
Bailey: Yang.
Cristina: yes?
Bailey: stay with the Chief, take care of the incoming wounded. The rest of you, come on.
Cristina: Stevens was inappropriate.
Meredith: hey, what was your news?
Cristina: forget it, forget it.

Alex pulls me into the ambulance then we make our way to the scene.

Bailey: oh. Everybody, move your ID's to the outside of your jacket. When we get there, remember triage. Karev, Shepherd?
Alex: green tags non emergent...
Delilah: yellow tags are delayed care...
Al&D: red tags need immediate treatment.