Chapter 60:

For the past couple of weeks, I've been competing in a contest with the others. I've been sleeping at the hospital for the past couple of weeks and getting into all the best surgeries. The advantage of not only being the most loved resident in the hospital, but being a Shepherd, is that I get paged immediately when there's a good surgery to scrub in to. I hear my pager go off and I bolt out of the on-call room that I've been sleeping in and I start sprinting around the hospital while fixing my hair. I end up running into Mer and Izzie in the lobby.

Delilah: sup losers!

I feel myself stumbling and I look up to see Cristina crashing into Izzie and Mer.

Meredith: move it!

As we continue speed walking, I see my dad walking into the hospital with Rose. They have been seeing each other for a little bit and I've been nice to her but I'm team Meredith all the way.

Cristina: she's wretched... and mean.
Meredith: she's not.
Delilah: they've only been on, like, five dates Mer.
Cristina: yeah, cause Derek knows she's wretched, and she's mean.
Izzie: yeah.
Delilah: totally.

I could see George appear from the corner of my eye.

George: what did you do to your hair?
Meredith: you guys, I know you're trying to make me feel better, but I have to tell you, this pausing to talk about Rose and Derek, it just means...
Cristina: yeah?
Meredith: that Del and I are gonna win!

Mer grabs my hand and we bolt away from the group.

-ambulance bay-

Alex ties my trauma gown then we wait for ambulances.

Meredith: who's winning?
Alex: Yang and Del are tied.
Cristina: surprised?

Cristina and I share a high five as I stick my tongue out mockingly at Meredith and Cristina.

Izzie: what? Let me see.

I smirk at Izzie as she looks over Alex's shoulder.

Izzie: I'm 26 points behind? That's not possible. Count again. What about all the surgeries?
Delilah: only 3 points for watching.
Cristina: baby Shepherd's right. You gotta do Izzie.
Izzie: I do do. I can't make them let me do procedures.
Meredith: you gotta ask.
Cristina: you gotta take charge of your own destiny, make it happen. Like this.

Cristina speeds over to the first ambulance that pulls up.

Paramedic: Otis Sharon, 61 year old male, found unconscious on the street corner with a swollen ankle.
Cristina not it.
Delilah: yeah, count me out.
Otis: I don't even know what happened.
Paramedic: initial BP was 90 over palp. Vitals stable after a bolus of N.S.
Izzie: okay, he's mine! All of you back off!
Meredith: it's a swollen ankle Iz.
Izzie: yeah, he passed out, he's pale, altered, hypotensive, and he's got a rash. You see a sprained ankle, I see a medical mystery. 80 points.

Bailey walks out to the ambulance bay as Izzie walks into the hospital.

Bailey: oh, Stevens is the only one working today?
Cristina: uh, no. We're all working. We got paged.
Bailey: for the ankle. It's gone. Now you're trolling for traumas?
Meredith: somebody could come in any minute with a critical injury.
Delilah: we're being proactive.
Alex: we're helping people.
Bailey: you're trolling. You're trolling, and I've got no one on pre-op and post-op. Now move.

As we turn around to walk into the hospital, a dirty SUV pulls into the ambulance bay.

Woman: help us! Please help!
Phillip: help my brother!
Delilah: Mer, get a gurney!
Phillip: help my brother.
Delilah: we're gonna do everything we can.
Bailey: what happened to your hand?
Phillip: uh, a bear.
Delilah: a what?!
Mrs. Robinson: he's really hurt. We tried to stop the bleeding.
Phillip: we were camping in the mountains.
Alex: you drove all the way here?
Phillip; we couldn't wait for an ambulance. I'm fine.
Bailey: no you're not. Let me see your hand.
Delilah: sir, let's try to get you on this gurney. Just step down right here.