Chapter 76:

Today is my first day back to work. To say I was nervous is an understatement. I arrived in Seattle yesterday and currently, I'm sitting in my car anxious about going back to work. I know for a fact that it's going to be hard going back to the place where my best friend died... but I have to do this.

I take a deep breath as I look in my driver's seat mirror.

Delilah: it's going to be hard, but... you've got this.

I take a couple of deep breaths before getting out of my car and walking into the hospital. I make my way to the Chief's office and I knock a couple times.

Webber: come in.

I anxiously walk into the office and offer the Chief a small smile when we make eye contact.

Webber: Shepherd.
Delilah: hi Chief.

The Chief sounded surprised to see me. I don't blame him though.

Delilah: I understand that there's some stuff you want me to sign before I come back.
Webber: uh... yes, yes I do. It's just a couple of papers. Have a seat Shepherd.

I walk over to his desk and sit in front of him.

Delilah: Chief?
Webber: yes?
Delilah: before we start, I have to apologize for leaving without a word. It's just... being here is way too painful. I didn't think I'd want to come back here. Hell... I was thinking about quitting. But I realized... if I quit being a surgeon all because George died, I would regret it for the rest of my life. As much as it hurts being here, I have to keep going. So I say again, I am so sorry for leaving so suddenly and without any notice Chief.
Webber: you have nothing to be sorry about Shepherd. I know that it's going to be hard for you, but I'm very glad to see you. I know this is probably a very stupid question to ask, but... how are you doing?

I let out a sigh as I look at the Chief.

Delilah: I... I don't know.
Webber: take it easy Shepherd. Take as much time as you need.
Delilah: thank you Chief. I-I don't know if I'm ready to go back into an OR.
Webber: I completely understand Shepherd. There's no rush.
Delilah: if there's anything you need done, tell me. I'm willing to help wherever I can.
Webber: I'm holding you to that Shep. Here.

The Chief hands me a few papers and I sign them as quickly as possible.

Webber: welcome back Shepherd.
Delilah: thank you Chief. Um, my dad told me that Meredith has a liver transplant. How is she?
Webber: she's doing fine. She's been worried about you.
Delilah: I know.
Webber: go see her Shepherd.
Delilah: okay. Thank you again Chief.

The Chief nods his head and smiles at me as I walk out of his office. I ask a nurse where Meredith is and I walk to her room. I see her laying in bed on her phone and I take a deep breath before hesitantly walking into the room. I stand in the door way and look at her.

Delilah: how's my favourite Grey doing?

Meredith turns her head towards me and her eyes grow wide.

Meredith: Lilah?
Delilah: hey Mer bear.

I hesitantly walk over to Mer and sit at the edge of her bed. The second I sit on her bed, Meredith throws her arms around me.

Meredith: you're back.
Delilah: ... yeah.

Meredith pulls away and takes my hands in hers.

Meredith: you completely ghosted us.
Delilah: Mer, I'm so sorry. I just... I had to get away.

Meredith gives me a sympathetic smile then squeezes my hand.

Meredith: we missed you.
Delilah: I missed you guys too.
Meredith: does your dad know you're here?
Delilah: not yet.
Meredith: what about the others?
Delilah: nope. The only one who knows I'm back is the Chief. I had to go to his office and sign some things.
Meredith: you sure you're ready to come back?