Chapter 104:

Today's another day for the trial and today is gonna suck because the Hobart family is so sweet and their kids are so adorable and kids are a soft spot for me. I see my dad and I meet up with him and I see Mer inside with the Hobarts.

Delilah: hey. Sorry I'm a bit late. Was up til four doing some starter packing for the new house, and Jackson and I were also discussing house decor.
Dad: wow, look at you.
Owen: Shepherds.

I turn around when I hear Owen's voice and I smile when I see him.

Delilah: hey Owen. What's up?
Owen: you two have a minute? I need to talk to you about your trial.
Delilah: oh, sure. Dad and I can just go get Meredith.
Dad: I just got a lecture on the failure to extend professional courtesy to one's spouse.
Delilah: not that surprised.

Dad and I share a chuckle but I look back at Owen and he looked a bit conflicted.

Owen: I think it's best you two don't get Meredith.

Dad and I share a concerned look then we follow Owen into a conference room. When Owen informs us that he had heard from Alex that Meredith tampered with the clinical trial, my heart shattered. My own best friend, my person, sabotaged our hard work. I was ready to walk out of the conference room when Owen keeps me back.

Owen: Shepherd, it pains me to do this... but you're out of the running for Chief resident.

My heart drops.

Delilah: wh... what?
Owen: I'm sorry Shepherd, but you're way too close to this so I have to do this. I'm really sorry.

I felt tears in my eyes as I storm out of the room. I find Alex and drag him into a deserted corner.

Delilah: no bullshit Alex. Owen just told me what you told him the other night. Is it true?
Alex: yes.
Delilah: ... that's why you've been acting weird. You wanted to tell me... didn't you?
Alex: of course I did. Of course I wanted to tell you Del. You're my best friend, I hated keeping this from you. You really think I would ever wanna lie to you? Mer made me keep my mouth shut, but I swear I wanted to tell you more than anything.

I nod at Alex and hug him.

Delilah: thank you.
Alex: I'm sorry.
Delilah: you have nothing to be sorry for Alex. Everything's fine. But thanks to Meredith, I'm no longer in the running for Chief resident.
Alex: sorry.

Alex kisses my forehead then I link arms with him and stand by the nurses station. I see Jackson with Dylan, April and Cristina standing around and I smile at them. I look over Alex's shoulder as he goes over a chart. It wasn't long until Meredith marches up to Alex.

Meredith: so they're probably gonna fire me. Are you happy?
Alex: oh come on, they're not gonna—
Meredith: I want your crap out of my house by the end of the day.

I glare at Meredith as she walks off.

Delilah: she doesn't get to be mad at you Alex. She's not the victim here, dad and I are.
Cristina: what the hell was that?

I was about to respond when multiple pagers go off. I run over to Jackson, grab his hand and run to the meeting where the Chief was standing on the stairs in the lobby.

Webber: a 757 went down in the sound. We're looking at about 200 or more injured passengers. We're the designated crisis center. Families will be instructed to come here to find their loved ones. We are activating surge protocol. Dr. Hunt will be running the show. It's gonna be chaotic. You need to listen carefully. You need to stay focused. Do not contribute to the panic. Now get to your stations.

Everyone starts following Bailey and Owen.

Owen: Dr. Bailey, let's clear any beds that we can. Discharge or transfer.
Bailey: okay, uh, Grey.
Owen: Torres, you're with me. Kepner and Hudson, set up the ER for triage. Other Grey, I want you running the family center. Take over in the cafeteria. Yang, blood bank.
Dylan: we might need a candyman.
Owen: Dr. Sloan will be out candyman. Let's be liberal with pain meds for our victims and sedatives that we are moving. Uh, Avery and Shepherd, you can help him out. Let's move people.