Chapter 108:

I was still at the bar with Mer, Cris and Alex when we get paged to the hospital. I'm running around trying to find Mer when I run into Cristina and we find Mer sitting on a bed.

Delilah: hey, you okay?
Cristina: what did Janet say?
Meredith: we're not getting her back.
Delilah: wait... what?
Cristina: what do you mean? What– what exactly did she say?
Meredith: that we're not getting her back.
Delilah: did she actually say that?
Meredith: she said that the court... canceled our hearing date. And when they do that, it means either one of two things– that they looked at our file and they love us and they're giving her to us, in which case they call Janet and they tell her that, or they hate us and they're giving her to another family. And she didn't get the "they love us" call.

I sit next to Mer and place a comforting hand on my best friend's shoulder.

Cristina: well, maybe they didn't get around to it.
Meredith: she said we should move on. That's what she said. You want to know her exact words– were "I think it's time you and Derek start thinking about moving on".
Cristina: oh my god.

I pull Meredith into a hug.

Delilah: how could they do this to you?
Cristina: you can cry.
Meredith: I don't want to cry.
Cristina: I know.
Meredith: I'm never gonna see her again.

I hold Meredith a bit tighter and I felt a couple of tears stain my shoulder but I didn't care.

Delilah: I should be the one who talks to my dad. Cris...

Cristina nods at me then I run off to find my dad. When I find him, I take a deep breath before I walk into the room.

Delilah: dad, Meredith is in the ER...
Dad: sweetie, look at this. Scalpels from the 1860s. I want to get them for Meredith.
Delilah: dad, Mer needs to talk to you.
Dad: can you and Cristina distract her? It's on eBay, and I got 25 minutes left on the auction.
Delilah: dad, Janet called.

Dad turns his head towards me then we run out of the room. Unfortunately, Robbins paged me so I run off and meet her and Alex. She starts talking about the case as Alex hands me a SGMW jacket.

Arizona: the baby was born a couple hours ago, and it looks like a tracheoesophageal fistula. You two know what that is?
A&D: it's the connection between the trachea and esophagus, and fills the lungs with secretions.
Delilah: baby can have a hard time breathing and feeding.
Arizona: exactly. Bentley hospital is tiny. They can't handle it. So you need to go pick up the baby, bring her back, and then hopefully, I'm done with the kid that's on his way in by the time you two are back. You guys need to reconfigure the ambulance for intensive neonatal transport. And I think you should get someone else to go– Grey, ride with Karev and Shepherd. They're on a baby run.
Meredith: well, I have to talk to Derek.
Arizona: well, new born life hanging in the balance. Make it fast.

I run off with Alex to help with neonatal transport.

Alex: is Mer okay?
Delilah: not really. The court cancelled their hearing date and she's really sad.

We wheel the supplies to the ambulance and Alex helps Mer and I in. I link arms with Mer and lean my head on her shoulder to comfort her. I look at my dad outside of the ambulance and nod at him before we drive off.

Alex: it's probably a mistake. You know, courts– they screw up all the time. You call 'em in the morning—
Meredith: it's over Alex. It's been over for a while, everyone knew it. No one wants to say it.
Delilah: Mer, that isn't true. Zola is your baby, and you are going to get her back. You have to have faith that—
Meredith: quit being so damn optimistic Lilah, 'cause it's not happening. She's gone and I'm never getting another baby.
Alex: get a surrogate or whatever. You can't just write off having a family like that. Get Yang to carry a kid for you. She gets knocked up at the drop of a—
Meredith: if you don't shut up in the next three seconds, I'm gonna shove you out of the back of the rig.