𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝙵𝚘𝚞𝚛: "𝚈𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚊𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚎."

________________________________

"I sense there's trouble aheadIt's clear by the signs and warnings,that should tell where all blame is due

It's clear by the signs and warnings,
that should tell where all blame is due."

Liar - The Arcadian Wild

________________________________

XXXIV.
\\ PROTECTIVE INSTINCTS//

I couldn't believe that Jana was having her first and last trip to Bernies with us. It all felt so surreal as we sat at one of the tables, talking, laughing, eating and enjoying this last happy moment we would get with her.

After a while, it was time for Rhydian and Jana to go meet Alric, and as everyone else was finishing up paying inside, Rhydian and I stepped outside. He seemed to know all the thoughts running through my head, the ones that hadn't stopped since we left the school.

As we stood on the pavement, he looked at me with a softness in his eyes, "Wanna tell me what's going on in that pretty head of yours?"

The lightheartedness of his question made me smile a little, and after a moment, I just let out a sigh.

"I don't like this," I looked at him worriedly, "Alric wanted you dead, and I don't want you to walk right into his claws."

I took both his hands in mine, looking down at them intertwined. I couldn't stop thinking about Rhydian walking into a trap and him getting hurt. I couldn't even imagine what I would do if something happened to him.

"I have to do this," He told me, "For my family, for my pack...for you."

He looked at me softly, and I knew why he was going through with meeting Alric. If I were in his position, I'd be doing the same thing. But that still didn't make this any easier.

I sighed, "I don't trust him."

Rhydian's fingers brushed against my jaw and he lightly tipped my head up so I was looking into his ocean blue eyes.

"Trust me, okay?" He said softly, "Everything's going to be fine."

He leaned in and kissed me, trying to comfort me as much as he could. As I kissed him back, I wanted to believe him so much. That this whole thing would be fine and that Alric's intentions were actually what he said they were. But I had this dreadful feeling I couldn't shake. A gut feeling or an instinct...I didn't know for sure. This whole thing just felt wrong.

We pulled away after a moment and that was when our friends walked out of Bernies, gathering around us on the pavement. Rhydian looked over to Jana, who gave him an assuring smile.

"Ready?" Rhydian asked her.

She nodded, and we all knew that now was the time to say our goodbyes. That this was it. This might be the last time we would see Jana.