𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚂𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗: "𝚆𝚑𝚘 𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚑𝚎?"

_______________________________

"And I am afraid of all that I've builtfading away

fading away."

I Have Made Mistakes - The Oh Hellos

_______________________________

XXVII.
\\ OUT OF THE WOODS //

"Again."

Maddy growled lowly as she stood across from me, her muscles tense and face determined. She kept focused as she circled me, waiting for the right moment to attack. My eyes scanned her every move, making mental notes of her stance and tells.

Finally, after a few moments of circling each other, Maddy charged right at me, giving it everything she had. In an instant, I saw her trajectory of attack and was able to sweep my leg under her feet, knocking her onto the ground within seconds. And before she could recover, I placed myself on top of her, pinning her down.

Maddy looked up at me in surprise, fully taken back how I had knocked her to the ground.

"That was your first mistake," I told her as I stood up, "Just because you're attacking first, doesn't mean your opponent will react defensively. They can still counter you, so you have to watch their movements too."

Maddy groaned from the ground, "Why are we doing this again?"

"Because, after our run-in with those wild Wolfbloods the other day, I think it'd be useful for you to know how to fight like a wild Wolfblood." I reminded her.

I held my hand out to Maddy, and she sighed as she took it and I helped her back onto her feet. Once she was back on her feet, she brushed the dirt off her clothes.

"Wild Wolfbloods do not yield in a fight and they will do whatever it takes to win." I continued, "You should know their fighting styles."

"But why?" She frowned, "It's not like they are coming back."

"We don't know that for sure," I told her, "And even if they do stay away, somewhere down the road we could always encounter other Wild Wolfbloods."

Our run in with Alric and his betas was a close one. One we got lucky didn't break out in a fight. And Maddy has never had to fight a wild Wolfbood before, which has her at a disadvantage if one were to ever challenge her. Especially one like Alric.

"If there came a situation where you were in trouble with someone like Alric, I would never be able to forgive myself if you got hurt because I didn't teach you this."

Maddy's eyebrows furrowed, "And we aren't telling our parents because...?"

"Because I didn't think they'd approve of me teaching you this," I sighed, "So it's better if they just think that we're taking runs together in the mornings."