𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙵𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚂𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗: "𝙸'𝚖 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚘 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚊 𝚏𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝."

_______________________________

"I'm slipping, into the deep end

I'm in over my head,
I can't catch my breath."

Deep End - Ruelle
_______________________________

XLVII.
\\ WHAT LIES BENEATH //

"What is this place?"

Dan's question settled in the air as he looked into the tunnel that led to our den, having knocked down the brick wall to see what lay behind. I stood next to Kai, my arms crossed over my chest and feeling my nerves inside me.

We all recalled someone being behind that wall last night as soon as we woke up, and we found that a brick had been knocked loose, leaving a hole in the wall. Now we were all worried about what could have happened...and who might have seen us.

"It's like Aern Hallow," Maddy looked at it, "Maybe it leads back there."

Dan looked back at us, "Stay in the den. I'm going to see where it leads."

Kai stepped forwards, "I'll come with you."

Dan nodded and I walked over beside Rhydian as the two of them crept inside. Seeming to sense my anxiousness, he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and hugged me close to him. I let out a slow breath and leaned my head against his chest.

"I can still smell them," Emma said, sitting on the stair that led to the den, "It's like poison."

Maddy looked back at her, sighing as she walked over and crouched down in front of her.

"Mum, it's probably not even that bad." She tried to assure her.

But Emma shook her head, "They saw us in wolf form."

"They don't know that." Rhydian pointed out, "If they've come all this way underground, they probably don't have a clue where they've ended up."

Nico nodded, "Yeah, we might just be panicking over nothing."

I looked over at Nico, who was leaned against the doorframe, and hoped he was right. Hopefully this wasn't as bad as we were all worrying it was.

After a moment, Dan and Kai made their way back in from the tunnel. Emma picked her head up, looking to Dan for answers.

"It's unbelievable," Dan said in amazement, "If these tunnels are as old as I think, then our family goes back way farther than I thought."

"So what?" Emma stood up, pointing to the iron gate doors, "You might as well take these down. They're not gonna stop anybody now."

I picked up my head from Rhydian's chest and watched as she walked out of the den and up the stairs. Dan knew she was upset and he immediately went after her. Feeling my stomach lurch, I glanced back at the tunnel, unsure of anything it meant for us.