𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙽𝚒𝚗𝚎 - "𝙸'𝚕𝚕 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚑𝚎𝚛."

_______________________________

"Your smile is wearing off ,as heavy as it gets

as heavy as it gets.
Let it disappear,
I'm right there with you."

Onwards - Francis Moon
______________________________

IX.
\\ ON THE BRINK //

A yawn escaped Aden's lips as she sat at the dining room table across from Maddy, doing some last minute cramming for exams. The smell of bacon filled the air as Daniel cooked breakfast for us. Emma was running around the house, getting things ready for Maddy and Aden left for school.

"Emmmm...five times seventy-six?" Maddy's dad suddenly asked her.

Aden looked up from my books to see Maddy groan at his attempt in humor. Chuckling, Aden did the math in her head, coming up with the answer.

"Three hundred and eighty." She answered.

"Correcto mundo, Aden." He said in a host of a game show kind of voice, which made her chuckle again.

But all that made Maddy do was rub her temples and sigh in frustration. Aden's eyebrows furrowed slightly, having noticed something was up with her. Something other than being stressed over their maths exam, but she wasn't sure what.

"You two feeling confident?" Emma walked in the room.

Aden shrugged her shoulders while Maddy shook her head. Aden didn't like maths but thanks to Shannon's revision sessions, she understood it well enough to get by.

"No," Maddy sighed, "I hate maths."

"You've got this down, Maddy." She assured her, "You're gonna do great."

She threw Maddy a playful smile and nudged her arm, trying to cheer her up a bit.

"Yeah, thanks for staying up to revise with me." Maddy said gratefully but still with a frown on her face.

"Right, come on." Mads' mom looked at her as she sat down beside her, "What's wrong?"

So she saw it too. That something was up. Emma sat down at the table across from Maddy and Aden, looking at her worriedly.

"I don't know," She sighed, "I just can't seem to focus on anything. And me head hurts, and hands are throbbing. And...my feet too, and-"

"Right in the gums?" Maddy's dad finished.

Maddy nodded. It was then Aden realized exactly what was going on. What she was explaining were all signs.

"Right, that's it, you're not going to school." Her mom said suddenly.

Maddy's eyes widened, "What?"

"I'll email Mr. Jeffries." She went on, "Tell him you're ill."

"But—"