Nemeton Hunters

"She's right there, Mel

"She's right there, Mel. We just have to go over there and tell her." Belle breathed out as her and Melanie were squatted behind a car at the Sheriffs Station, watching as  Valerie Romero walked to her car.

"Oh, and say what? Hey, your little sister just died but hey, you can't see her because your colleague, Parrish took her away while he was on fire?!" Melanie whisper yelled back to Belle. The Parker girl looked at Melanie with wide eyes. "Well, when you put it like that..."

"What do you think you're doing?" Liam whisper yelled to Melanie and Belle from behind them, making the two girls jump slightly, turning to look back at him and Mason. The sound of an engine starting made the girls look back to their previous target who was driving away.

"Someone's got to tell her about Hayden." Belle said and Liam nodded before turning to Melanie. "Okay. And why are you here?" "I couldn't leave her alone like this." Melanie whispered and Belle groaned, rolling her eyes as she turned to them. "I can hear you."

Liam sighed, looking down at her. "Belle, that somebody that tell's Valerie... doesn't have to be you." Mason nodded, squinting at all the dirt and blood on her clothes. "Especially looking like this. I mean, what if they think you killed her?"

"Maybe I did." Belle whispered and Melanie instantly shook her head, grabbing her hand. "You didn't." Mason nodded, squatting down so he was at the same height as the girls, Liam doing the same right after him. "And while the last few hours haven't been your best... This isn't the way to fix it. She's going to find out, and it's not gonna hurt any less coming from you."

Liam straightened up abruptly, almost falling over from his squatted position, making Melanie turn to him from beside him. "What?"

Liam squinted his eyes as if it would help him believe what he was thinking was true. "It's Hayden." He whispered.

Belle's head whipped to Liam as Mason whacked the back of his head. "Dude, don't egg her on." Belle shook her head, jumping up from ground. "No, he's right. It's her scent. She's here."

Melanie sighed, standing up to meet Belle's height. "Belle, you held her body in your arms. We... We watched Parrish carry her out of the hospital." "She's... She's gone..." Mason added and Belle sighed, looking down at her feet.

"Hey, come on. Let's go. Let's go." Melanie whispered, wrapping an arm around Belle's shoulder and pulling her up to walk away from the parking lot.

...

"No, there have not been any other bodies brought in tonight, thank God." Liams stepdad said as he walked down the hall, the four sophomores trailing after him.

"No one named Hayden?" Belle abruptly asked, making Melanie whip around to face her. Liam's stepdad slowly turned around to face her. He sighed, looking to Liam. "Liam, take these girls home. It's 6:00 in the morning."