The Rat King

Melanie sat in Mrs. Monroe's office, watching the woman carefully as she looked at Melanie's schedule. When the lady pursed her lips and squinted at what was written on the page, Melanie's stomach dropped slightly as she looked down at her hands, worried what her counselor had to say about the classes she chose.

"I'm seeing a lot of APs on here, Melanie. Are you sure you can handle all this? I know you're smart enough to but it's a big work load." Mrs. Monroe said, dropping the file and placing her hands on her desk, watching Melanie closely.

The Yukimura girl gave the woman a reassuring smile, nodding her head. "I can handle it. I got people to help me out at home if I can't." She said and Mrs. Monroe smiled. "You're staying with the McCall's, right?"

"Yes, Ma'am." Melanie said and the Counselor squinted, nodding her head. "Okay. Well, just remember guidance hours are posted if you ever want to talk about your family. You know... you're real family." Monroe said, emphasizing on the word "real", making Melanie looked away from the woman.

Melanie shut her eyes to hide her sadness towards her counselors words. She took a deep breathe before opening her eyes and turning back to her counselor, shaking her head with a tight lipped smile. "I think we should just stick with talking about the APs."

...

"As I said, I'm here to guide you. Not push, not prod." Mrs. Monroe said, now staring at Belle in the seat across from her. The blondes face scrunched, taking offense by the woman's words. "You think I can't handle the classes I chose?" Belle asked and Mrs. Monroe sighed, putting her hands together and leaning over the counter slightly.

"Look, I understand the need to keep up, to be recognized or noticed..." The woman started before her eyes squinted at her own words and she tilted her head. "Although, I've noticed your recent times where you've been a little out there." Monroe said, making Belles face fall. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You seem to have a very unique way of expressing yourself, Arabella. An angry or violent way." Monroe said and Belle clenched her jaw, shrugging as she looked away from the woman, not wanting to make eye contact. "Everyone has there own demons to fight."

"And yet, you've never come into my office and shared any of those demons." The counselor said and Belle scoffed out a laugh, turning to the woman with an amused brow. "You think I should?" She said and Mrs. Monroe gave her a sweet smile. "I just want you to know that I'm here for you guys. I know I haven't been in the position all that long, but... I also know that students at this school have seen and been through things that don't exactly come with easy explanation."

"I'll keep that in mind." Belle muttered sarcastically, knowing she'd never go to that office when it wasn't needed. Monroe, who caught onto the girls sarcasm, tilted her head. "I take this very seriously, Arabella." The counselor spoke as Belle sighed, standing up and throwing her backpack over her shoulder,