Fox Fire

Melanie chest was tight

Melanie chest was tight. After the Nogitsune ripped the ring from around Melanie's neck and threw it into the distance, she has been too petrified to even move let alone look at the rest of the pack who had witnessed the scene.

She felt like she was in an out of body experience, watching everyone else around her as if she wasn't there with them.

As the sound of the fighting came closer, Melanie turned her head and realized it was Scott, Eli, and Allison fighting the Oni. Melanie shimmied up in her spot against the ground, catching Liam's attention. The boy looked down at Melanie before turning his head to the three fighting.

"We can't kill them. Not without Silver. We need Parrish. We need to buy him more time." Scott yelled as he knocked an Oni to the ground. Theo turned to Melanie. "Can you make something silver?" Theo whisper yelled from the rock a couple of feet away from Melanie.

Melanie turned to face him, wiggling her fingers from behind her back for him to see. "I can, but since my hands are behind my back I may... you know... stab myself on accident. Then I won't be any good!" Melanie sarcastically snapped, making Theo roll his eyes.

Scott was thrown towards Melanie and Liam by one of the Oni. He groaned when he hit the ground. At the same time, an idea popped into Melanie's head.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Melanie hadn't mastered it yet—hell, she's only read about it, but she put her fox into Scott. She opened her eyes and they flashed green for a split second. Scott's eyes widen as he watched Melanie, feeling her fox enter his body.

Melanie grew lightheaded at the loss of her fox, but kept herself up so it wouldn't look suspicious to the nogitsune. It didn't help at all when Lydia's wail echoed throughout the forest, bursting her eardrums.

"Allison!"

Melanie groaned in pain at Lydia's wail, holding back everything in her not to scream in pain. She dropped her head in hopes it would silence some of the girls cries, but since she didn't have her fox, Melanie lost her ability to heal faster. She felt blood run down her ears, and all she could hear was a constant ringing.

Out of the corner of his eyes, Liam could see Melanie. After some maneuvering, he found a way to be able to hold onto Melanie's wrist even with his hands still tied and take her pain.

"We're not done yet." The nogitsune's voice echoed. Melanie slowly turned her head, getting a little dizzy at the action. She was barely able to hear him, but her hearing was slowly coming back. Melanie's eyes widened at the sight of the nogitsune, his hand to Eli's throat. "The game is mine."

Scott shook his head, taking a step closer towards the two, but when the Nogitsune pressed his claws a little tighter against Eli's neck, Scott took an immediate step back. "Take me. Let the others go." Scott tried to reason.

"All the lives here belong to me." The Nogitsune hissed. Scott shook his head, pointing at his own chest. "All you need is me."

"Scott, don't do this." Allison said, but Scott ignored her, keeping his eyes on the Nogitsune in front of him. "Allison kills me, I die in her arms, the same way that she died in mine. That's the move that wins the game, isn't it?"