Twelve

Adrian was greatly surprised to find how impatient he was for Eve to return.

What was taking her so bloody long anyway?

He sat in his personal office, which had a view of downtown Chicago in all its glittering, gleaming glory.

Dressed now in his casual but still designer house clothes, bare feet on the carpet with a glass of scotch at his elbow, Adrian tried to work, while in actuality, he was watching the security monitors.

He had a bank of six screens with four view panels displayed inside each screen. They were fitted with wooden cabinet doors so that he could close and hide them if he wished.

After what felt like hours, Eve finally returned.

He straightened up the instance a flicker of movement caught his eye, and he saw her pale head coming out of the back of his black town car, with her curvy, slightly plump figure to follow.

No one was more surprised than he, but he got instantly hard just at the sight of her.

Not good.

As a PA, it was important that she not be distracting in any way, but so far Eve had proven herself to be distracting in every way. The undone top button on her blouse had only been the beginning. For the rest of the day, he had found himself distracted by her, and now here he was; barely able to concentrate on work as he waited for her to return, like some kind of overanxious schoolboy.

Pathetic.

It wasn't like Adrian Kingsley was a stranger to having a woman around. He'd entertained so many lovers, he'd lost count, and almost as many PAs, though he was strict to never commingle the two. Adrian was a firm believer that business and pleasure should never mix, it made for a tense work environment, and ultimately, it meant bad business.

Which was simply unacceptable.

###

Eve came through the front door of the penthouse, aided by the nice doorman, Wallace, whom she had just made friends with, apparently. She had already forgotten her keys.

She seemed to be insisting on carrying some of her own luggage, which flustered Wallace and Bernard ever so much.

"Bernard?" Adrian frowned as he came down the hall from his private quarters to see what all the commotion was about; pretending he hadn't been waiting impatiently the whole time.

Adrian stood there with his hands on his hips as he surveyed the chaos.

He usually never had this many people in his foyer at once; only one night and Eve was changing how things worked around here. In his domain.

His frown deepened and Bernard tipped his hat to him nervously. "Sorry to disturb you, sir."

Eve hadn't even glanced over at him and she was still dressed in her overly sexy little outfit; the white sleeves rolled up and that top bottom undone again. She was also sporting a rip in her pantyhose now. Adrian's sharp gaze missed nothing as it swept over her.

Her dull blonde hair had become a bit frizzy, no doubt from the Chicago wind, and it was secured back in a messy low bun with wisps escaping around her face. Even with her makeup smudged, she appeared radiant, with the apples of her cheeks flushed pink and her eyes bright.

Adrian cleared his throat, annoyed now that she hadn't even noticed him as she went back and forth between her apartment and the main door to direct the doorman and Bernard on which suitcase or bag to take in next, and scolding them if they touched a box marked fragile or a toiletry bag she didn't want them handling.

She finally looked up at Adrian, brushing back a wisp of hair from her face. "Hey, boss." She said wryly. "Don't feel like you need to lend a hand!" She added, dragging a suitcase away and exposing more of her cleavage to him than he ever needed to see.

Adrian's jaw hardened. Was she seriously teasing him? In his own home?!

Bernard and Wallace finally moved the last bit of luggage and Eve went so far as to hug them goodbye, which made them both blush. Then they were finally gone.

Adrian was still standing at the far bank of windows, a new glass of scotch in his hand.

She spotted him on her way to her apartment and she hesitated. "Is there anything else? Sir?"

He slowly turned to consider her, swirling his drink absently. "Yes. Be ready right here, tomorrow at 6am."

"S-six?"

"Each day is different, Ms. Mathers. Tomorrow I will need you ready at five. And you do have different clothes, yes?"

She looked down at herself, automatically smoothing her hands down her front. "Of course..."

"Good. Then I trust you will find something more suitable to wear."

She bit her lip and when she turned her head away, he saw the way her eyes glistened.

Adrian felt something stab through him.

He knew he could be a real cruel bastard sometimes and he pushed people too far with his need to control everything. He hadn't meant to insult her, though, he just couldn't have her looking like that around him every day.

"Goodnight, Eve." He told her in a softer voice. "I hope you sleep easy here."

###

When I was finally alone in my new apartment, and the day was officially done, I let the exhaustion crash over me.

Stumbling around, I found my toiletry bag and went to take a short but much-needed shower.

Then I came stumbling out, wrapped in a towel, to cast around all my haphazard heaps of luggage to find my PJs.

The bedroom was beyond words.

I'd never been in a room so nice before in my life.

There was a vintage vanity table with lighted mirrors and a walk-in closet about the size of the guest bedroom back at my sister's place.

I collapsed into the giant four-poster bed with my hair still wet and barely remembered to set my alarm before passing out. For five-freaking-am tomorrow!

Gross!

I would bask in the luxury of my new living quarters tomorrow, perhaps.

For now, I slept.

*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading! Please don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share to your favorite social media sites! Follow me for more of my erotic suspense novels and I will try and make sure to read any works that YOU might have!

Cheers!

HRH