Thirteen

The next day, I rose at the ungodly hour of 5am. By "rose", I mean I unceremoniously jolted up in bed, spluttering and gasping as I looked around.

Where was I?!

I calmed down as I remembered the events of the day before and how I was now living and working for Adrian Kingsley, CEO.

First order of business; coffee, then I had to try to comb my hair into submission and put on some makeup.

With my much-needed coffee in hand, I went to the window bank in the living room to push back the mauve drapes and look out at the city.

The view was breathtaking; the city all laid out before me; wet and mysterious and winking back at me, beckoning me to step out and play, to get lost in its arms and find myself again.

I shook myself, glanced at the time, gasped, then hurried off to the bathroom.

###

Apparently my attire yesterday had been unacceptable to Mr. Kingsley in some way, so I resolved to do better today. I had already committed to being the best employee possible to him and succeed in pleasing him where so many others had failed before me.

That started with dressing the part.

I had a few pairs of slacks I almost never wore and thankfully one of them still fit my ever-expanding posterior. I paired this with a black-and-white blouse with a polka dot pattern, and put my hair up with a clip. The black pants were a little long on me so I had no choice but to don a pair of high-heeled dress boots.

There, if I wasn't presentable now I'm not sure I ever would be in his eyes.

###

I stepped out of my apartment, feeling pleased with myself for being on time, and so smartly dressed, only to find Adrian Kingsley already there, dressed much better than me, and waiting impatiently by the little round table in the center.

"Good of you to join me, Ms. Mathers." Was the first thing he said to me.

I squinted at him as I approached, nursing my thermos of coffee. Luckily my apartment came stocked with everything one might expect in a luxury hotel, including a coffee maker and gourmet coffee grounds.

I glanced at my phone. "It's 6am on the dot!" I protested, not about to say good morning to him if he hadn't said it to me.

"On time is late." He handed me his phone in such a blasé fashion that I almost refused to take it on principle. Then I remembered that this was literally my job, so I grudgingly took it.

"Oh. Oops." I said. "Sorry! A little behind, I guess."

"My schedule is important to me, Ms. Mathers, if you cannot keep up and keep track, I will have to find a replacement."

I stared at him in white-faced shock. Apparently neither of us were morning people.

"Being behind even two minutes puts us two minutes off schedule right from the start." He sighed as if this was truly the worst thing to ever befall mankind. "So in the interest of getting back on track, you will go straight to the Brick Co. and bring me back a double shot espresso with light foam and nutmeg, a ham and cheese frittata, and an almond treacle croissant. Get yourself whatever you want."

He then whipped out a black credit card that he handed to me like it was nothing. "I don't need the receipt, just be quick about it. And bring me the day's paper. I'll be in my office." He then put his back to me and I stared after him in disbelief.

He had seriously woken me up at 5am to go grab him a freaking coffee and a pastry? Why couldn't his...PA do it?

I sighed to myself. I was his PA, that's right, lucky me. What had my sister said to me; they were basically slaves?

At least I got to get myself whatever I wanted, I mused, slipping the credit card into my purse along with his phone.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Raise your hand (or your drink) if you're not a morning person!

And I know, I know, the model in the pic isn't wearing slacks, nor does she have her hair up,  but it was the best I could do!!!

Salud!

Thanks for reading lucky Chapter 13!

HRH