Twenty-Eight

*Image of Lyndsey*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lyndsey wanted to see the new place where I was living and her kids were still at our Mom's for the weekend so we decided to order in and I drove us back to the Kingsley building where she had parked her SUV.

We had a whole flock of shopping bags and boxes in the trunk of my sporty BMW and it felt great. I had not only found a cute and comfortable pair of espadrilles to go with my dress, but also a large white floppy hat trimmed in a blue ribbon that magically managed to match the exact shade of dusky blue as my dress. I couldn't wait to wear it to the race tracks on Sunday.

Lyndsey and I were hyped up on caffeine and were giggling and talking a mile a minute when we arrived in the penthouse lobby. We sort of spilled out of the elevator with all our shopping bags.

"But as great as he is, if he isn't hung like a camel then it just won't work out, you know?" Lyndsey was saying to me.

We burst into giggles anew.

Someone cleared their throat and we both looked across the room to see Adrian rising from his reading chair by the windows.

I swear he guarded the door like a sphinx, waiting to make sure I got home at an appropriate time; he was such a freaking control freak. But I suppose I was just lucky that he didn't make me answer a riddle before I could get into my apartment.

This thought made my lips twitch. "Hey, Boss." I said ruefully. "This is my sister, Lyndsey, who I've told you about.

"Lyndsey, this is my illustrious new employer, Mr. Adrian Kingsley."

Adrian gave me a look that told me I was being cheeky as he set his book down and crossed the room to us. "Hello, nice to meet you, Ms. Mathers." He said to Lyndsey, who flushed.

"Please, just call me Lyndsey." She dropped the shopping bags to shake his hand.

"And call me Adrian, please." He replied.

"It's quite the place you got here, Adrian." Lyndsey was saying, adjusting her purse strap over her shoulder then tucking some of her golden-brown hair behind her ear. It was styled in one of those trendy long blunt bobs and she kept hers gently curled.

"Thank you. Well, I'm sure you want to see Eve's portion of the penthouse. I was just about to have dinner. Eve, we got a new chef finally, and I do hope I can persuade you both to join me?"

I stared at him in slack-jawed amazement. Where the hell he had garnered a soul from so suddenly?

"Wow...uhm, that would be lovely!" Lyndsey now tucked her hair back behind BOTH ears, blushed, and tittered nervously. "I-I suppose I don't have to be anywhere! The kids are with our parents this weekend; I have kids."

I frowned at her slightly. "Yes, we were gonna just order in, but personal chef cooked meal? I'm in." I said, and I was proud of myself because I was pretty sure I had done a good job of saying the right thing the right way there.

Plus, I didn't think Lyndsey was really gonna give me a choice in the matter.

###