Twenty-Two

Adrian did in fact have a TV. A giant, 72" plasma screen, set inside a hideaway cupboard.

A few minutes later, we were sitting awkwardly next to each other on his brown leather sofa as I signed into Netflix via my sister's account.

Adrian continued to eat his food and drink his scotch, as unimpressed and unflappable as ever.

"Okay, so here we are! Feel free to use it." I said, munching on a coconut shrimp as I searched through movies.

"What do you like to watch?" I asked him.

He rotated his head towards me and gave me a look. "I don't exactly watch a lot of anything, other than-"

"The news?"

He nodded, returning to his steak, which he was nearly finished with.

"Alright...uhm, ooh, they have "The Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind"!"

"Hmm. Haven't seen it, what's it about? A mental patient?"

I slowly turned to stare at him. "You haven't seen it?!" I mouthed at him in genuine shock.

He eyed me like he thought I wasn't as funny as I thought I was. "No, I have not."

"Oh my God, we have to watch it now." I said, putting it on confidently. "You're gonna love it. And no it's not about a mental patient, you're thinking of "A Beautiful Mind"."

"I see."

Twenty minutes into the movie; "I'm not at all convinced that this movie isn't about a mental patient, or rather, two mental patients, who've seemingly escaped from an asylum together." Adrian said. He was finished with his food, but had moved onto another glass of scotch. He'd also poured me a glass of red wine.

"Don't worry, you're off the clock." He assured me with a wry smile, handing me the glass. "But don't drink too much, I need you up at 9am tomorrow."

"Wow, we get to sleep in?" I gasped, taking the delicate glass from him.

Adrian shot me a look. "You get to sleep in. I wake up at 5am."

I stared. "EVERY day?"

He shrugged. "I just come awake. It's a curse."

"Ugh. I'm so sorry! I can be up earlier if you need..." I said, though I felt myself turn pallid at the very idea.

"It's fine. Catch up on your sleep. Tokyo took a toll on you."

I giggled nervously. So he'd noticed, had he? Was I seriously such a baby?

But I couldn't deny that I was still exhausted. I don't know if it was from jet lag or if working for Mr. Kingsley was just that hard on me.

I yawned and settled back into the couch. I noticed a fleece throw blanket and pulled it over myself.

Adria seemed content where he was, lounging back now with his fingers laced across his abs.

I glanced up at him to see his eyes fixed on the screen, genuinely fascinated by the movie, it would seem.

I smiled and let my eyes drift closed for a moment, just a moment.

My boss was still as scary as ever, I mused deliriously. But he was pretty cute sometimes.

###

Adrian's blue eyes narrowed. "What the fuck?" He muttered to himself. "Why is that little weasel lying to her? And how-?"

A sudden sound startled him; a soft little snore from beside him.

He looked down as Eve slumped into his side, evidently having fallen fast asleep in the last few minutes.

He blinked down at her, frozen in surprise at first, then she nuzzled his chest as she sank more fully against him. She snored again and he couldn't help but smile even as he sighed.

What a little bother she was.

She'd only had half a glass of wine and she was out like a light. What a child she was.

"What am I going to do with you?" He murmured, his arm reluctantly lowering to drop around her shoulders.

###

"Eve. Eve, hey, wake up."

I slowly came awake, feeling warm and comfortable in the dim environment. I saw the flickering light of the screen as the credits played.

A lamp flicked on nearby and I stretched, only to finally realize that I was lying against the warm, muscular chest of my boss.

I jerked upright with a sharp gasp. "Oh my God! I'm so sorry! I-I didn't mean to-!" I shoved my hand into my hair, pushing it back from my face.

Adrian smiled down at me with an unusually kind expression, even as he politely put distance between us on the couch. "It's okay. We've established that you're tired. Run along to bed now. Thank you for the movie recommendation, by the way. It was very...interesting."

I blinked at him, then remembered what we'd been watching.

"Oh, yeah, right. Glad you liked it. Sorry, again. I-I should get to bed."

I got up, almost knocking over my wine glass. "Guess I didn't need this, huh?"

"That's fine. Goodnight, Eve."

I glanced back at him at the door and could only smile awkwardly. "'Night, Boss."

*~*~*~*~*~*

I don't know about y'all, but "The Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind" with Jim Carey and Kate Winslet is one of my favorite movies!

Thanks for reading!

HRH