Pt. 2 Thirteen

I tried to make up for my insubordination by taking the most fastidious notes possible during the next meeting.

The main topic up for discussion was their new line of high-tech toys for bored rich people. One of the new products wasn't doing well; the sales cycle was dampening, yada yada.

Not that I put that in my notes, per se.

"The problem, reportedly, is the product isn't user friendly." Chad Drives was saying in his wheedling voice. "With these current market projections we find we have to urge you to move to recall the products, and back out of the deal altogether. Basis of faulty R&D on the developer's part."

I looked up from Adrian's iPad. I wondered if Apple could hear us now.

"Well, it wasn't Apple who designed the ECube." I heard myself suddenly say. Usually I never dared speak during a meeting, but I was just full of surprises today apparently. "They just built it. A small company of dedicated gaming nerds came up with it and sold the idea to Apple, who rushed the product against the advisement of the EGuardians."

I blushed bright red as I looked around the long conference table to find everyone staring at me, Adrian included.

"The EGuardians?" Someone snorted.

My blush intensified. "That's what they call themselves. They wanted funding to perfect the ECube, but Apple wanted to do it themselves. Guess they thought they'd do a better job. But I have one and it IS hard to use! Well, technically it's my niece and nephew's, but even they find it hard to use, too!"

I just couldn't seem to stop myself from talking.

"S-sorry." I lowered my eyes from Adrian's piercing gaze. "I'm sorry." I shrank down into my chair.

"Yes, well-" Chad went on smugly.

Adrian lifted his hand, however, silencing him instantly. "No, please go on. What do you suggest we do from here? Do you think we should recall and push to have the contract voided?"

I bit my lip. Was he being serious, or was he asking me mockingly?

I dared to look up at him. He sure seemed serious, patiently waiting now for me to answer.

"Well..." I said slowly. "This is your first venture into ITech, right?" I blushed again. "I mean, Kingsley Corp.'s first business venture, right?"

Adrian dipped his head, his lips twitching, if I wasn't mistaken.

Bastard.

"So it's important that the first product be successful, right? Well, instead of recalling altogether, why not a temporary overhaul? Make Apple apologize. And grant the EGuardians funding to work on the ECube, get it up to snuff. Then re-sell."

"It's risky." One advisor said quickly.

"It's absurd!" Chad spluttered. "Donating money to some small-fry company out of blind faith. And since when do PAs get a voice at the table, hmm?" Chad gazed at me with clear contempt in his ordinary blue eyes.

Quite a few people around the table laughed, even a few of the women, and I flushed in embarrassment.

Why couldn't I just keep my fool mouth shut? Even if I was right?

Adrain lifted his hand again, however, silencing everyone. "No, she has a fair point. All good ideas are welcome at my table, Chad. If you're so worried about the proper job titles, though, maybe I should give Eve your job."

Adrian looked at Chad directly, and both Chad and I paled. I didn't want Chad's job.

Chad himself shut up and lowered his head, like a dog submitting to his alpha.

Adrian looked at me next and I gulped.

"Let's explore this idea. Sandra, send someone or go yourself; find these EGuardians, talk to them, demo some of their stuff. We might want to promote more of their products personally. Perhaps we can exclude the middleman altogether and generate more co-pay profit. That's the goal, isn't it? In house profit?"

His other PR personnel and financial advisors didn't dare speak a word against him at this point.

Sandra nodded with eager anxiety. "Of course. Right away, sir!"

I resisted rolling my eyes. 'Relax, Sandra, he's not going to whip you.' No, I alone reserved that privilege.

I shivered inside with a deliciously dangerous feeling.

"Oh, and one more thing." Adrian said, as people started to shuffle their paperwork and electronics together to leave. "I've considered the board's proposal to budget cut some of the employees of Kingsley Corp.."

I looked up at my boss in mild alarm now.

"I've decided to take the board's advice; please inform them that I will be cutting 25% of their salaries. I hope the board finds this an acceptable decision and will present more helpful ideas to me in future.

"Meeting adjourned."

###

I lusted after my boss. I admired my boss.

Hell, I was pretty sure I loved my boss.

But I'd never felt this level of respect for him before. It was a warm, glowing sort of feeling.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks so much for reading, y'all!

Here's to hoping Apple doesn't sue me or something for mentioning them!

HRH