Pt. 2 Thirty-Eight

I was in a daze.

Somehow, I'd managed to escape Alcatraz uninhibited, if not unscathed.

Adrian had let me go. I was probably going to be pissed about that later, but right now all I felt was relief.

I was free!

I'd packed in a mad rush, taking only the essentials. Adrian could just send me the rest later or whatever rich people did when they broke up.

Oh my God, we broke up!

Okay, Eve, don't panic. You did the right thing!

I gripped the steering wheel of the car he'd bought me tighter than ever. Shit, I was going to have to return it to him now, wasn't I?

With pop music blasting, I just drove around downtown for a while. Clearing my head was impossible, but I knew I needed to focus on my next move.

In the parking garage, before I'd left, I'd considered calling my sister, bawling, to beg her to let me come over. At that particular moment, all I wanted was the comfort of my family and to make up from our stupid fight, which had been about Adrian to begin with.

She had tried to warn me away from him since the beginning, hadn't she?

But something in me wasn't ready to go home, to cry in her arms, or to make up.

I wasn't ready to forgive anyone yet, I realized, the longer I drove. I just wanted to be alone. I needed space; time, to clear my head.

Briefly, I considered taking a long drive out of the city, really put old Betty here through her paces.

It was getting late, though, and I was exhausted.

I decided to pull into the parking garage at a 4 star hotel I'd always wanted to stay at but had never been able to afford before; the Drake.

Now, with all my unused money just collecting dust in my account, I could afford whatever the hell I wanted. For at least the next few weeks, anyway.

The check-in bitches looked at me in disdain and it was only then that I recalled the fact that I'd changed into my pajamas before vacating the penthouse.

Oh well, I was rich and apparently eccentric, as far as they were concerned. My card was approved and that's what mattered.

Soon enough I was holed up in my own expensive fortress; a random hotel room I was confident that Adrian wasn't likely to track me to.

I fussed around and got settled in. Before I turned the lights off to watch some bad TV, I checked my phone, meaning to message Lyndsey to say goodnight.

Of course there was already a message waiting for me from Adrian.

I scanned it, then backed out in disgust. I put my phone on the charger, turning it all the way off on second thought.

Everyone could just wait for my forgiveness 'til tomorrow.

11:23pm

From: Master.

'I hope you take the time and space you need to think about things clearly. Please take care of yourself until such time as you allow me to do it for you. Properly this time.'

Contentious bastard!

He might as well have said, 'Hope you get over your hysteria, crazy woman. See you soon!'

He obviously didn't think this breakup was going to last. Again, failing to take me at all seriously.

I was too irate to get much rest that night. I don't think I managed to exhaust myself into sleep until around 6am.