Thirty-Three

*Dramatic image of Ty Kingsley*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We left the stadium and went out into the parking lot.

Adrian took his phone back from me and called this woman, this Gina.

"Where exactly-? The trees? Can you be more specific?"

I bit my lip, scanning the curb along the main road bordering the north side of the parking lot. I spotted a line of tall trees, the most notable in the area, and headed towards them.

Adrian took my lead and followed after me.

"And you had Kane drive you?" Adrian was saying to the woman on the phone. "In the town car? Alright, be right there." Adrian got off the phone, returning it to me and urging me onwards in the direction I was already heading.

He put his hand lightly on the small of my back as he walked beside me, which surprised me. He had never touched me like that before; like I was a lady. Maybe it was the dress.

###

We reached the sidewalk beneath the trees and I looked up and down the curb, scanning for a black town car like the one we had arrived in, all the while trying not to freak out about who the hell this Gina bitch was anyway.

"Daddy!" I heard a kid calling its father and ignored it until I realized Adrian was turning away from me, then lowering himself into a squat and opening his arms.

I stared down at my boss in dumb confusion.

It was with mute fascination that I watched as a little boy with brown curls, about 8 or so, came running up to Adrian and threw himself into my boss's arms.

"Daddy!"

###

'Daddy'?!

My mind reeled.

I could only stand there, holding his phone and my purse, and gape down at my boss as he embraced the little boy with dark curls.

His son?

Adrian Kingsley had a freakin' son?!

I hadn't seen that when I'd read his Wiki page! Never married, no kids, no siblings. Father deceased, mother, a one Monique Kingsley; brunette.

I lifted my eyes as a plump woman with dyed auburn hair hustled up to us in kitten heels. She put her hand to her chest as she heaved for air.

"My goodness gracious! Ty, we have talked about this running off thing! Oh, sir, thank you for coming down. He simply refused to leave the car until he saw you! Claims he's terrified of horses all of a sudden." The woman - Gina, I presumed - was babbling to Adrian.

The little boy drew back and stared up at Adrian with huge blue eyes. "They're scary! They eat people!"

Adrian sighed. "Horses do not eat people, kiddo, I promise. What's this really about, huh?"

The little boy turned his curly head and stared at me.

Crap! It had noticed me.

Lyndsey's kids were one thing; they were my own flesh and blood, but otherwise kids were so not my thing.

"Who's she?" Ty asked in that bald way that kids had. "Is this your new girlfriend?"

Adrian glanced back at me, lips pursed.

I forced a smile onto my face that I hoped was reassuring and took a step towards the kid. "Hey there! No, I'm just your dad's assistant. I work for Adrian." I glanced at the man himself, begging for help with my eyes.

I could feel Gina eying me with her lips pursed together in a clear sign of disapproval.

I supposed I didn't look particularly professional today in my flirty sundress and floppy hat, with no doubt the scent of booze wafting off me.

"This is a friend." Adrian said to the kid, surprising me. "She works for me and she's going to be spending the day with us, okay, buddy?"

The kid wrinkled his nose at me, studying me as he decided if he liked me or not.

"I'm Eve, by the way." I said, stepping closer to them. "What's your name?"

Ty stepped away from his dad as he sized me up and Adrian slowly rose to his full height.

The kid was dressed almost like a mini version of Adrian, which was creepy. He had little gray slacks and a crisp baby blue button up shirt. It definitely didn't seem to suit a child his age, but there was something in his eyes that bespoke of an incredibly deep intelligence. Despite his diminutive size, he seemed like a particularly bright child.

"I'm Ty. Ty Kingsley." He held out his little hand, and I smiled and stooped down a bit to take his hand and shake it.

"Very nice to meet you, Mr. Kingsley." I shot a look at his father over the kid's head.

Adrian gazed back at me, somber if unrepentant. Now he was watching how I got along with his kid, great, just the extra stress I needed.

###

"Alright, thank you, Gina. I think we got it from here. You have the-?"

Gina handed him something, I didn't see what it was before he put it in his coat pocket because Ty was talking to me.

As soon as she was dismissed, Gina trotted away in her heels to the town car that was waiting for her.

I noticed a man in a dark suit with a crew cut and sunglasses waiting outside the car for her and I had to assume the man was more than just a driver.

Ty Kingsley had his own bodyguard. Adrian was super paranoid; why wouldn't he get his kid a bodyguard?

"I don't meet a lot of Daddy's friends." Ty was currently telling me, and I did my best to pay attention.

"Yeah?" I said to him, squatting down so that I was at his level. "Well, I don't meet a lot of my boss's kids."

This made him giggle. "I'm an only child." He then told me and it was back to his oddly formal tone.

"I see." I said, studying his little face. God, he was cute. I couldn't help but wonder what his mother looked like; where she was, why the fuck I hadn't heard one fucking word about their existence in general.

I knew it was silly, insane, even unfair, but I felt betrayed.

Adrian had a kid?!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Oh God, a mini Adrian! Yikes! Heehee! :)

What y'all make of Eve's reaction? Irrational or fair?

Thoughts on dating single parents in general? Love to hear any and all comments!

Thanks for reading, as always!

HRH