Forty-Two

I turned around to leave the building with Adrian, only to jump when I found Mike standing there, right behind me.

He must've followed me over here like a shadow and I hadn't even been aware of it. I began to blush again because I hadn't meant to be overheard talking to my boss. Twas a private matter between us, in a weird sort of way.

I would have to learn to adjust to always having Mike the Shadow hovering around now.

###

We got into the town car and headed back to Adrian's office building. Mike rode up front with the driver, thank God. I seriously couldn't have handled being sandwiched between them right then.

I felt stifled in Adrian's presence. His silence was smothering.

Once we got into the quiet sanctuary of his gray halls I was able to breathe again.

Sebastian Donahue was there in the inner office lobby to greet us, of course, as he always was. The tall, dour faced man handed Adrian his daily folder full of who-knew-what and merely slanted me a dull expression. "Who's the new muscle?" He asked Adrian with wry amusement.

Adrian flicked blue eyes back towards Mike. "This is Mr. Barrett, the freelance agent I was telling you about. He's to be Ms. Mathers' personal bodyguard now."

The two men clasped hands briefly and I watched from the sidelines as the two tall professionals sized each other up.

Adrian was preoccupied with the contents of his folder and was oblivious to all else around him. "Sebastian," He said at present, "have you seen to it that Wallace's family receive their due compensation?"

"Yes, sir. The funeral is to be this Sunday." Sebastian replied in that smooth-as-ice way of his. He was already re-absorbed with his tablet, as he generally was.

"Well I guess we'll have to come back early for it." I said aloud. I should've thought before I spoke, terrible habit of mine.

As it was, I winced because now I could feel both Sebastian and Mike watching me.

Adrian looked up at me with interest as well, snapping his folder shut. "Does this mean you've decided to come?" He asked me, but then added. "Though, no; I had no intention of going to the funeral. I didn't even go to my own father's funeral."

I blinked.

Something for another day, or perhaps his therapist.

"You can't be serious! I mean...we have to go! He was your employee and he died literally in the line of duty!"

Adrian sighed as he considered me. He seemed to realize I wouldn't just let this go easily. "Fine. I suppose we could put in a brief appearance, if you're so set on the idea. But I'm not staying for the wake."

I bit my lip. Wow, I thought, what a hero you are, Adrian, baby.

###

After what felt like an unusually long day of being shadowed around the office by Mike as I shadowed Adrian, it was finally 6pm and Lyndsey was starting to text me more frequently.

"So can I go now?" I asked Adrian hesitantly, dropping a fax onto his desk for him. Apparently the man couldn't use his own fax machine. Though, to be fair, who faxed things anymore anyway?

"Go?" He looked up at me in mild surprise, then checked his watch and understanding seemed to dawn. "Yes, yes, of course, you said something about dinner with your sister. Mike will drive you. See you tomorrow morning at 7am sharp, if you can make it."