Thirty-Nine

I awoke twice during the night and both times it was to find myself still locked in Adrian's arms.

He held me all night long, he never once let go.

My head had found a natural hollow between his chest and his shoulder and I fit snugly against him. Even though he was much bigger and longer than me, we were naturally a perfect fit.

It felt insanely right, being in his arms.

His skin was warm against mine. He didn't quite snore, he sort of purred in his sleep, I swear to God; like a big jungle cat or something.

Adrian didn't move often in his sleep, and when I moved, he moved with me.

He smelled amazing, and that masculine, sexy yet comforting scent soothed my frazzled nerves.

Each time I jolted awake, I then relaxed as I remembered that I was safe, safe in my boss's bed.

###

When I woke up that next morning to my 5am alarm, it was to find that I was alone in Adrian's bed.

It only took a moment for me to orient myself and realize how dangerous it was; my desire to wake up nestled in my boss's arms.

What the hell was wrong with me anyway?

I sat up and looked around the room, which seemed smaller and less mystical in the light of day.

His bed was still insanely comfortable, though, and I had undoubtedly slept worlds better here than I would've in my own bed.

I looked around curiously as I slid out of bed, my feet finding their way into my slippers.

Where was Adrian?

I didn't have long to wonder. I was only just looking over my emails on my phone, sleepy and dazed as I scratched my head and yawned. My mouth snapped shut when Adrian walked into the room just then from the hallway, fully groomed and dressed for the day in a pale blue-gray suit.

I gaped at him.

How the hell did he do it? Did he have black magic or something?!

He was sipping a tiny cup of espresso and he glanced at his watch, then ran his dark blue eyes ruefully over me. "Better hurry or you're going to make me late." He warned, turning away.

Not so much as a, 'Good morning, beautiful, how did you sleep?'

I blinked at his back.

What an asshole!

How dare he treat me just as badly as he ever had? Like nothing had happened between us; like we hadn't shared something, like things hadn't changed?!

I couldn't lie to myself, it hurt.

###

Trying not to feel dejected, I slowly shuffled back to my own apartment to take a quick shower and get ready for the no doubt heinous day that lay before me.

I dressed carefully in the new professional clothes I had. I was looking for Adrian's approval, whether I wanted to admit to it or not.

Adrian was waiting for me in the front foyer, busy on his iPhone as I clicked across the marble floor in my brand new designer pumps.

I had a new pair of gray slacks with white pinstripes. I thought the pants hugged my figure well, making me appear both shapely and long-legged. Topping off the outfit was a white silk blouse and a women's black cravat around my neck, tied in a fetching bow on my upper chest. My flaxen hair was swept back into an easy but chic looking topsy-tail.