Pt. 2 Twenty-Four

It was strange; how the power play had shifted.

Before, I'd been terrified of displeasing him, of upsetting him or messing things up between us.

But now it was me who was displeased, me who was upset, and Adrian was the one who'd messed things up.

If he had only just believed me...

It hurt. His mistrust actually, physically hurt me. I felt betrayed by him. I trusted him, after all, I believed what he said to me was true when he spoke. I would never disrespect him the way he had disrespected me.

It was a long, quiet drive home.

We didn't speak again until we were back in the penthouse, in fact.

"Join me in my office for a moment, please?" Adrian said to me quietly, but we both knew it wasn't a request.

I hesitated. But I was a big girl, I reminded myself stoutly; I could handle this.

"Mind if I change first?" I asked him. This was me, pushing my position in the power seat.

He glanced back at me and he pursed his lips in blatant disapproval. "Alright."

I went off to my old bedroom and changed into a comfortable, simple blue T-shirt dress that fell to my knees quite modestly.

I took my time, brushing out my hair and brushing my teeth 'cause I'd had garlic pasta at lunch. I even took a moment to freshen up the meager makeup I'd applied earlier that day, before joining my boss in his dread office.

Adrian had changed his clothes, also, now sporting a simple black T-shirt over a pair of designer jeans.

I stopped in the doorway, spellbound by the sight of him.

He was just...delicious.

Sensing my attention, he turned back from the window. Of course he already had a glass of scotch in his hand.

"Well, don't you look lovely." He murmured, his eyes traveling over me. "Drink?"

I shook my head, rubbing my arms as I reluctantly eased deeper into the room. "I should get to bed soon. If I drink, I won't sleep very well."

Adrian studied me with an unfathomable expression in his dark blue eyes. "Eve...I just want to say..." he blew out a breath and I could tell this was hard on him. "I'm sorry. And I meant what I said earlier; I don't want you to quit. Not the job, not our relationship. I want you to stay."

I gazed at him steadily, not giving him anything easily, not this time.

He sighed in frustration, then set down his glass to cross the room to me in four, quick, powerful strides.

He cupped my face in his hands, cradling my head carefully as he gazed earnestly down into my eyes.

I gasped softly at the sudden invasion.

"I'm sorry, Eve." He told me. "I overreacted to hearing about Raven."

My heart fluttered girlishly, But I made myself harden my jaw. "You don't say." I murmured.

Adrian sighed again. "I admit, I got jealous. I think maybe it's how much I hate the idea of someone else being your Dominant, I just lost my shit. Can you ever forgive me?"

He gave me a small, heartbreaking sort of smile then.

My useless heart promptly melted.

But luckily my head was still very much in the game.

"So you believe me?" I questioned stubbornly.

If this didn't get put to bed now, then he and I weren't going to bed, at least not with each other.

Adrian hesitated. I could see it in his eyes, he was struggling with himself about it.

My heart slowly solidified itself once more, back to a semblance of its proper shape.

"I want to believe you, Eve, I really do." He said hoarsely, dropping his hands to my shoulders.

I tried to push him off, but he held firm.

"So you don't believe me?!" I whispered.

"Tell me again. Tell me the truth, Eve, and whatever it is, I'll believe you."

I drew a deep breath, praying for patience. "Alright. I will. Raven never hurt me, not physically, not without my consent. I swear on my life, it's the goddamn truth, Adrian."

"Okay. Okay, baby, I believe you." He dragged me to him and covered my mouth with his.

I groaned, my hands rising to press against his chest in protest. Then my eyes fluttered closed and I melted helplessly into him.

Something deep down in my core opened its hungry jaws, begging for more.

Submit. A voice from my subconscious whispered. You're a Submissive, so just submit.

But...another part of my brain protested.

Adrian's kiss was deep and demanding.

He had me pressed up against the wall before I even recognized what was happening.

He was pinning me in place with his big body; smothering me, dominating me.

A part of me was still scared, terrified, actually. Terrified of him swallowing me up whole, so that I no longer even knew myself.

My lips parted for him and his tongue snuck inside, tempting mine to play with him.

We both groaned at the same time.

He pulled back suddenly, leaving me gasping for air. He cupped my face in his hands once more. "Tell me you forgive me. Tell me you're mine and only mine."

I frowned up at him. Even as delirious as I felt, I continued to resist. I have to say, I was rather proud of myself for that. "Do you really believe me?" I challenged. "Or are you just telling me what I want to hear?"

Adrian adjusted his grip so that he was holding my jaw in one hand. He forced my face to lift to his. "Yes, I believe you, Eve. What more do you want me to say? Do you want me to beg you to stay?

"Fuck, woman, I will. Please, don't leave me? I need you, I don't wanna do this without you. I'll give you everything you want and need, I promise. Just give me some time. Please?"

I swallowed on a dry throat. Contrary to the norm, my heart felt like it was beating unnaturally slow.

What was he saying?

"Right." I heard myself say. "'Cause I need to be taken care of. I almost forgot."

I still had a bitterness in my heart towards Lyndsey about that.

Adrain lifted his eyebrows in bemusement. "I never said that. Personally, I think you're perfectly capable of taking care of yourself, Eve. I wouldn't love you if you weren't strong, beautiful angel."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Do we believe that Adrian believes her?! Lol

Thanks for reading, my sweet Minions! Please don't forget to Vote, Comment your thoughts, and/or Share!

HRH