Fifty-Six

Happy Memorial Day weekend, everybody! My deepest appreciation and respect for all those that have served in our military.

And let us please observe a moment of silence for those who didn't make it back home.

#GoneButNeverForgotten

HRH

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My tongue went completely numb in shock and I couldn't answer for several solid seconds.

I tried swallowing and failed to do a very good job at it.

He cocked his head and a coy smirk unfurled across his lips.

Damn, he was sexy. And dammit to Hell and back if he didn't know it, too.

I saw the sly glimmer of triumphant amusement. He thought he'd already won. He thought he had me.

I was his bitch, after all.

I tried swallowing again and this time I got it right. "So I'd be like your date?" I blurted out in that horrible blunt way that I had. "Not just your PA?"

I more than half expected Adrian to get all shifty and uncomfortable, but instead he simply smiled at me. There was even genuine warmth in his gaze now.

"Yes. I'm asking you to be my date, Eve. I told you I always take what I want, didn't I? Well, in this case I realize it's a bit outdated and oafish to simply take you, but that doesn't mean that I don't intend to try." He reached out and shocked me further by cupping my cheek in the palm of his hand.

I felt his warm, rough skin against my face and my eyes fluttered uncontrollably for a moment in a purely feminine response.

His smile faded into a look that was darker and more intense. "I want you, Eve. Have I made that perfectly clear?"

I gulped and nodded a jerky little nod.

He sighed and dropped his hand from my face. Relaxing back into his seat, he stared out the window as residencies transformed into brick business buildings, then steel and glass buildings as we reentered the city center.

"So you'll come?" He finally asked.

I jumped and flushed as I guiltily realized I'd just been sitting there staring at him the whole time. "I-I-"

Then another guilty flash hit me as I remembered my poor sister and her own fragile dating life; how I had promised to watch the kiddies this coming weekend for her, with plans to send her and Roger to Lake Tahoe.

It was a beautiful plan and one I didn't want to muddle up. Not even for Adrian.

"Well, I promised my sister-" I began stoutly.

Adrian turned his head again to look at me. Was that a flicker of impatience there in his gaze?

He didn't like being rejected. Certainly not twice.

"Eve, I will hire the best Swedish nanny that money can buy to babysit your sister's children. And I will happily pay for your sister and her new beaux to fly out to Lake Tahoe. That was the plan, right?"

I stared at him unblinking for a moment. I was both impressed and touched that he remembered. "Yeah." I said faintly. I then had to clear my throat.

Every time the shock of his words hit me I felt an aching, tingling sensation cascading through me to pool in my core.

While my head knew I had to resist, my body was weakening. It wanted him, was wet and flush for him, so much so it was embarrassing.

I wanted him to take me, right here in the backseat of his stupid luxury car.

"So." He said, with a return of that smug little smile. "It's settled

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thank you for reading, whether you're lounging at home by the grill, out camping, or just trying to avoid your family and the crowds!

Cheers!

HRH