Thirty-Five

The Glass Garden was easily one of the ritziest restaurants in the whole city of Chicago.

High up on the top floor of a silver skyscraper, it boasted a 360-degree view which earned it its name. Filled with plants, with a fountain in the middle, and golden chandeliers dripping crystal from the ceiling, it felt like being in Heaven.

I personally had never been to the place. My sister had, once, on a very important business lunch, and she had told me all about it and had even taken a picture of the Ladies' Room, it was so nice.

She had brought home a to-go box with her leftovers and we had picked at it later in rapture.

My boss owned the place.

Of course he did.

He had the whole place shut down just for us this afternoon, because his kid liked the views.

It was definitely strange, having the whole restaurant to ourselves.

We sat at a table in the center of the room, one of Ty's choosing.

We were all fairly hungry and at least we wouldn't have long to wait until we ate.

Adrian went with the ribeye, rare, of course, as he always did, with shrimp capellini and roasted vegetables on the side.

I ordered the duck and gnocchi.

Ty was eight and I expected him to want mac n' cheese or pizza or a hamburger or something, but he ordered the filet mignon with risotto. Apparently the kid had an advanced pallet and took after Daddy.

They chatted together over a basket of bread while we waited for our food; Ty regaling his father about his new tutors. His schooling didn't seem to be going too well by the sound of it.

Ty drank soda and Adrian had a cup of coffee. I'd had quite enough mimosas at brunch and prudently switched to water. No good to be sloshed in front of the kid and my boss, and my kid's boss. Or something.

I sipped more water and nibbled on some bread, and just tried to act like I wasn't freaking out on the inside.

Adrian had a kid!

Like, really, truly, there was no way around it; he had a flesh and blood son. He had sired a child, dropped seed to produce an offspring. He had lain with a woman and loved her and made her pregnant.

Now the living proof was right in front of me, swinging its little chubby legs.

I was definitely officially freaking out.

Our food arrived and it all looked splendid and smelled delicious, but I could barely muster up an appetite to eat it.

The kid at the table was seriously harshing my buzz.

Ty and Adrian ate with similar gusto, until most of their food was gone.

Ty was going on about some gameshow he was interested in, but he eventually had to go to the bathroom. He went by himself, though I noticed how Adrian watched him until he was out of sight.

Then he turned back to me.

"Can you watch him for a little bit?"

"What? Me?! Oh no!" My eyes first widened in disbelief then narrowed in anger.

"But he likes you."

Rage surged through me.

I leaned forward to say to him in a soft, deadly whisper, "I have done everything you've asked of me, BOSS. I was gracious when you dragged me around the world to Tokyo! I was even good about the fact that you're rude and arrogant, and insufferable, and you tease me all the time, and you demand perfection from everyone, which is insane, by the way, and you follow no rules but your own, and you withhold information, and-and-and you're just plain mean!