Pt 2. Forty

I wasn't sleeping well.

I'm not sure if it was the bed or if I was just so pathetic that I couldn't even sleep without Adrian now, maybe a mixture of both.

Regardless, I was tossing and turning late into the night. I cracked the small side window – small enough that you couldn't throw yourself out – to let in a cool night breeze. Usually this helped, but tonight nothing I did made me comfortable or sleepy.

I made myself some herbal tea, I read for a while, then I turned off the lamp and masturbated. Now that really usually did the trick.

But not tonight.

I even changed pajamas at one point; trading my nightgown for cotton shorts and a tank top.

As I was busy tossing and turning suddenly I heard a strange sound.

I sat bolt upright in bed as I realized it was the sound of the locks disengaging.

My heart just about exploded in my chest as the door opened and the shadowed figure of a man stepped through.

I screamed softly, fumbling for the hotel phone. "Who the fuck are you?! I'm calling the cops!" I rasped. I grabbed the phone only to drop it.

A light flicked on and I gasped again to see my boss standing there, staring at me.

"Eve, relax, it's me." He held his hands up in supplication.

I gasped at him, furious now that I was no longer terrified. "What the hell are you doing here?! How did you find me?! How did you get in?!"

He slid his hands into his pockets and gave me a sly smile then. "I own the building. I've known you were here since you checked in, but after that last text-" he cut off and his azure eyes glittered at me.

I'd been clutching the covers to my chest, but now I threw them off, leaping up to cross the room to him with short, powerful strides.

"You might own this building and everything in this godforsaken town, but you don't own me! Kindly leave, sir." And I pointed at the door. "Your services are no longer required. And I'm tired of putting up with your shit!"

Here his face softened as he gazed down at me. "Please, just let me say what I came to say. Then, if you still want me to, I'll leave."

He closed his eyes and drew a deep breath, then opened them and looked right at me. "I'm sorry. I was wrong. I've been an overbearing ass to you and you've been nothing but the best.

"Please forgive me. I know I don't deserve you, but I need you, Eve." He took my hand and, gazing so intently into my eyes that I felt oddly lightheaded, he said, "I love you more than I can say with words, so please let me show you. And let me be perfectly clear. I don't just want you back as my PA. I want much more than that. I want all of you."

Adrian slowly lowered himself down onto one knee, and my heart leapt into my throat.

Oh my God, was he...?!

Then he was pulling a small black box out of his pocket, a velvety black box that every girl dreams of one day seeing in the hand of the one who loves her.

But did he really love me?

Or was he just afraid to lose me?

"Eve Loraine Mathers," He said solemnly, "will you marry me?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

HRH